Norwalk teen runs away again, found in Ottawa County

NORWALK At least this time he wasn't armed and didn't make it 535 miles, authorities said.
Cory Frolik
May 24, 2010



At least this time he wasn't armed and didn't make it 535 miles, authorities said.

On Thursday, Calvin Riley, 14, disappeared after allegedly stealing a truck for the second time in four months, once again triggering a multi-county manhunt.

Authorities said the Bronson Township teen was captured in Ottawa County about eight and a half hours after he was reported missing.

"(His mom) was relieved and happy that he was safe," Huron County Sheriff's Maj. Greg Englund said. "His parents were both worried."

The last time Riley bolted, he made it to Dayton, Tenn., before surrendering to authorities. At the time, he was armed and believed to be dangerous.

Englund said all law enforcement agencies in the area were looking for Riley, but his department worked especially closely with the Ottawa County Sheriff's office because Riley was spotted in Oak Harbor.

Agents from the Ottawa County Drug Task Force saw the missing pickup pull into the parking lot of the La Point United Methodist Church on Ohio 163, officials said.

They found Riley lying on the seat of the truck and took him to the Sandusky County Juvenile Detention Center.

Ottawa County Sheriff's officials charged him with receiving stolen property. Charges for burglary are pending after he allegedly broke into a Carroll Township home. Riley may face other charges in Huron County, including violating probation and theft of a motor vehicle, officials said.

Riley's parents -- Michelle and Pat Riley -- called the Huron County Sheriff's office at about 6:30 a.m. Thursday to report their son was nowhere to be found.

At about the same time, a resident who lives on the 1100 block of Moriah Road and knows the Rileys called authorities to report a dark blue 1994 GMC pickup truck was stolen.

The keys had been left in the truck, which was taken from a driveway about 2 miles from Riley's home, authorities said.

Riley also stole a neighbor's truck in May.

The stolen truck was spotted at about 6:20 a.m. Thursday at an Oak Harbor gas station.

When Oak Harbor police Officer Eric Parker did a routine check of a license plate on a GMC pickup parked at the store, the vehicle came back valid.

A little more than an hour later, Parker learned the truck was stolen, Oak Harbor police Chief Steve Weirich said.

Authorities narrowed their search to Ottawa County.

It paid off when Ottawa County deputies arrested Riley shortly before 3 p.m.

Riley was supposed to be on around-the-clock house arrest after he fled the first time in a neighbor's truck, armed with several rifles and ammunition. He was charged with theft of a motor vehicle and inducing panic in July.

Authorities found his diary with alleged threats toward teachers and students, stoking fears Riley might be planning something violent.

He headed to Tennessee instead, hoping to live off the land with his weapons.

He turned himself in about 24 hours after leaving.

In August, juvenile Judge Timothy Cardwell ordered Riley to remain on 24-hour house arrest and serve 75 hours of volunteer work.

He was permitted to remove the ankle monitor, and his parents were ordered to enforce the house-arrest rules.

Huron County assistant prosecutor Jennifer DeLand urged the court in May to keep Riley in juvenile detention rather than placing him on house arrest.

She warned Riley was a flight risk, but Cardwell said he didn't think detention was appropriate.

DeLand and Riley's attorney, James Joel Sitterly, declined to comment Thursday.