Firefighters were called about the blaze in the 2000 block of Columbus Avenue, across from Toft Funeral Home, at about 8:30 a.m.
Three adults and two children at home at the time of the fire all exited the house safely. A resident said a lamp in the first floor of the house caught fire and set the curtains ablaze.
Fire officials said the first floor of the house has major fire damage and the second floor has significant smoke damage.
For more on this incident, pick up a copy of Thursday's Register.