LETTER: Make gambling legal

In recent years, legalized gambling has been denied two times in Ohio, but should rightfully be accepted. Admittedly, addictions are
Sandusky Register Staff
May 24, 2010

 

In recent years, legalized gambling has been denied two times in Ohio, but should rightfully be accepted. Admittedly, addictions are presented with statewide gambling, but in most cases, people know their limits. A recent study by the National Gambling Impact Study Commission shows that 98 percent of the people who gamble do so responsibly. The revenue, jobs and profits are most beneficial for states. In 2001 the Detroit casinos generated one billion dollars, up from 744 million dollars in the year 2000.

You will not be "paying the price" for a casino. The tax system for casinos is a simple one: 10 percent of the gross receipt taxes will go the host county. The other 90 percent of the taxes will be distributed on a per capita basis among all 88 counties. Each county will be able to spend it money freely.

Obviously, Ohio needs jobs. The one casino discussed in issue 6 would have provided 5,000 job opportunities. Now just imagine three to four casinos, with a possibility of 15,000-20,000 new jobs.

Almost all state around us have some form of legalized gambling. We are sending our tax dollars out of state and it is not beneficial to us. By legalizing statewide gambling we are keeping our money right here in Ohio where it belongs. This money can be used to do good things, but we are the only ones who can decide whether we want the money for our state. Even Gov. Strickland, who has been heavily against this stated that he, legislative leaders and business leaders would consider gambling as an option.

Why is casino gambling not legal, but the Ohio Lottery is? What is holding you back from buying 600 lottery tickets? The facts talk and they're saying we should legalize statewide gambling.

Chris Ketchum

Huron