House fire blamed on dog and candle

SANDUSKY Stella Hunter sobbed as firefighters carried a limp dog out of her burning house.
Sandusky Register Staff
May 24, 2010

SANDUSKY

Stella Hunter sobbed as firefighters carried a limp dog out of her burning house.

The dog, a mastiff, was the only near-victim of an attic fire Tuesday night on the 1300 block of E. Perkins Avenue.

The dog, found in an attic closet by Sandusky firefighters, was brought outside and given oxygen to help revive it.

"He had some respiratory problems, we gave him some oxygen and he perked back up," said Sandusky Fire Captain Jim Green.

Green said the fire started in the attic of the house, where Joseph Hawkins was staying.

"He said he came downstairs, and the dog ran upstairs and knocked down the entertainment center with a candle on it. When he came back up, the room was on fire," Green said.

The preliminary investigation coincides with Hawkins' explanation, he said. Green estimated $8,000 worth of damage to the property.

Hunter did not want to comment.