Fire leaves 8 homeless

CLYDE An early morning blaze partially destroyed a Clyde residence and left the family homeless. No
JACOB LAMMERS
May 24, 2010

CLYDE

An early morning blaze partially destroyed a Clyde residence and left the family homeless. No one was injured.

The Clyde Fire Department responded to 637 Vine St. about 1:15 a.m. after a fire broke out in the basement of the house.

"It was in the basement, then got up the walls and burned through the living room floor," Clyde fire Chief Mike Andrews said. "It was lit up pretty good."

A woman in the house smelled smoke, and her boyfriend later discovered the fire in the basement, Andrews said. All eight residents were out of the house before the fire progressed to the living room.

Andrews said it was fortunate the woman was awake, since the smoke alarms did not havebatteries in them.

The fire was not considered suspicious and could have two possible sources: an unattended cigarette or electrical short. The Clyde Fire Department is continuing to investigate the fire today, Andrews said.

The two-story house with full basement sustained an estimated $40,000 worth of damage. The house is uninsured, Andrews said.

The fire caused mainly structural damage in the basement and living room. The house also had significant heat, water and smoke damage.

About 22 firefighters responded to the blaze and had it under control within an hour and a half, Andrews said. Sandusky County EMS and Clyde Police Department were also on scene.