Erie County has the green to get greener.
The Erie County Solid Waste District has received a $50,000 community development grant from the Ohio Department of Natural Resources to replace eight large recycling containers and update the facility signs.
Meanwhile, the district is in talks with municipalities to begin curbside pickup.
Huron is the only community where curbside pickup of recyclables is available.
“It’s something we’re looking into,” said Lisa Toich, coordinator of the Erie County Solid Waste District. “The communities have to want to be involved, and there is definitely a need out there, but we have a smaller budget than some other counties.”
All of Erie County’s 14 recycling facilities are open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
The Columbus Avenue facility next to the Erie County fairgrounds is the largest in the county, and it processes the most recyclable material in the state.
“The EPA always brags about this location right here,” Toich said.
The recycling program receives $3 per ton of solid waste that goes to the county landfill. Grant money funds other community activities, such as going into schools and helping children make paper from recyclables.
Erie County recycling facilities are never closed
• View Fire Station, 2312 Comanche Trail, Bay View
• Berlin Township Garage, 40 East Main St., Berlin Heights
• Central Erie Supply & Elevator, 4320 W. Mason Road, Oxford Township
• Erie County Services Center, 2900 Columbus Ave., rear parking lot, Perkins Township
•Erie County Sanitary Landfill, Hoover Road, Milan Township
•Florence Township Barn, Florence Wakeman Road, Florence Township
•Margaretta Township Road Department, 316 E. Lucas St., Castalia
• Groton Township Services Building, 9414 Portland Road, West of Ohio 4
•Milan Village Street Barn, Edison and Merry streets, Milan
• Osborn Park, 3910 East Perkins Ave., rear barn, Huron Township
• Sandusky City Greenhouse, Elm and Monroe streets, Sandusky
• Sandusky Kiwanis Park, 2227 First St., Sandusky
• Sandusky Services Complex, Marquette Street, south of Monroe, Sandusky
• Vermilion Township Barn, Stanley Road, east of Barnes Road, Vermilion Township
The following materials are accepted at all Erie County recycling facilities and should be sorted into the following categories:
• GLASS - Jars and bottles only; all colors.
• CANS - Aluminum, steel and bi-metal cans from food and beverages; empty dry paint cans and empty aerosol cans.
• PLASTIC - Beverage and laundry product bottles marked with a No. 1 or No. 2 on the bottom.
• PAPER - Newspaper, magazines, catalogs, office paper, junk mail and paperboard boxes.
• CARDBOARD - Clean corrugated without wax coating or foil.