Leave Feedback

Bond issue up for discussion

Alissa Widman Neese • Jul 28, 2014 at 6:12 PM


Sandusky Schools is poised to place a monumental bond issue on the November ballot.

If approved by a majority of voters, it would fund the largest construction project in the district's history.

Sandusky school board members scheduled a pair of meetings to complete the two-step process of officially placing the issue on the November ballot:

•8 a.m. Friday at the district's board of education office, 407 Decatur St., Sandusky.

•5 p.m. Monday, at the same location.

On Friday, board members are expected to send a resolution to the Erie County Auditor's Office, certifying the specifics of the bond issue.

On Monday, they will vote on whether to officially place the proposal on the ballot. 

If approved by voters this fall, construction could begin as early as next summer.

The project

Board members most recently discussed the building project in June, when they agreed to send a resolution to the Ohio School Facilities Commission indicating their desire to move forward with the plan.

If approved, the district intends to:

•Construct two elementary school buildings — one for preschool through third grade, and one for grades 4-6 — near Sandusky High School, on the old Memorial Hospital site.

•Repurpose Mills Elementary School as an adult education building and Venice Heights Elementary School as the new Regional Center for Advanced Academic Studies, a school for gifted students.

•Demolish Hancock, Ontario and Osborne elementary schools, unless someone offers a plan to repurpose them for public use.

•Demolish part of the former Jackson Junior High School building, while retaining the portion containing its gymnasium and swimming pool for public use.

•Renovate science laboratories at Sandusky High School.

The entire project will cost $58 million, with the facilities commission funding 54 percent of the project, and local taxpayers funding the remaining 46 percent through increased property taxes.

The 3.94-mill bond issue, estimated to endure 37 years, would cost the owner of a $100,000 home an additional $138 in taxes each year.

Anyone can attend the public meetings on Friday and Monday, which the district announced Wednesday through two emailed news releases.

Sandusky Schools bond issue

•If approved, this bond issue would generate funds for a building project costing $58 million total, in a timeframe of 37 years. The proposal would construct two new elementary school buildings, renovate science labs at Sandusky High School and demolish three existing buildings.

•3.94-mill, 37-year bond issue.

•Would cost the owner of a $100,000 home about $138 in additional taxes per year.

Recommended for You