Leave Feedback

no avatar

Strong start at state

Kelsey Pence • Aug 27, 2014 at 3:15 PM

Deven Taylor wasn’t expecting the kind of match he got in the opening round of the Division III state tournament.

The surprise turned out to be a pleasant one.

After Wayne Trace opponent Tyler Showalter tried to throw Taylor to the ground, the Margaretta junior managed to flip Showalter and pin him early in the second period.

Click HERE for a gallery of photos from Day 1 in Division III

Taylor and nine other Div. III wrestlers earned opening round wins Thursday to advance to today’s quarterfinals at Ohio State’s Schottenstein Center.

“The way he looked I wasn’t expecting him to do throws and stuff so it kind of surprised me,” Taylor said. “I don’t normally get thrown a lot, (but) I know how to get out of it and what to do. I had to keep my hips down so he wouldn’t turn me because he was looking for me to get my hips up so he could throw me. I just had to put him on his back when I had the chance. I knew I had to get it done or be in trouble”

Taylor is making his first state appearance and will face West Jefferson’s Ricky Ratcliff today in the quarterfinals.

“It’s pretty exciting seeing all these people here and having my family here” he said.

Teammate Caleb Stockmaster (152) lost on a 6-4 sudden victory to Centerburg’s Chet Backiewicz in the opening round, but rebounded with a 6-4 win overCovington’s Daniel Jennings. Ryan Green (170) lost his opener on a 3-0 decision to Covington’s Ben Miller, but beat Brookfield’s Zach Jamieson 10-4 in the consolation.

St. Mary Central Catholic’s Alex Smith won his opening round, pinning Gates Mills Hawken’s Louis DeMarco in the second period. Panther senior Wyatt Dye lost his opening match by pin to Rootstown senior Travis Linton.

“I kind of got caught in a little scrap,” Dye said. “I can’t hang my head, I just have to wrestle my way back. It’s a great tournament. Everyone is good here, there’s no scrubs. I’m ready to go I just have to shake it off”

He did just that, posting an 11-3 major decision over West Jefferson’s Louis Wemyss in the consolation. Freshman teammate Dominic Rosin (106) fell to Hunter Bray, the state favorite, by pin, in the opening round and to Shadyside’s Greg Quinn in the consolation bracket.

St. Paul’s Wes Fritz (1320 posted an 8-1 decision over Garaway’s Jesse Blake in his opening round, while Jesse Gross (152) posted a 7-2 decision over Bishop Ready’s Patrick Stover. Hayden Miller (170) pinned Blanchester’s Brandon Breezley in the second period of his first bout.

Derek Gross (138) fell out of the top bracket after an 8-3 loss to Dayton Christian’s Alex Becker. Gross then beat Howard East Knox’s Noah Phillips in the first round of the consolations. Connor Careless (285) saw his season come to an end, falling 2-1 to Martins Ferry’s Jon Bodkin and then to Van Wert’s Zach Thomas by pin in the first period of the consolation.

Willard’s Kaden Moore (106) lost his opening bout, a 16-0 major decision to Wayne Trace’s George Clemens. Moore dropped down to the consolation bracket, where he pinned Ridgeville’s Colton Bethel in the second period.

New London’s Trevor Reed (126) lost his opening bout to Mapleton’s Zack Durbin, who pinned Reed in the third period. Reed bounced back and pinned Ridgeville’s Cole Zeigler in the second period to keep his placement hopes alive today.

DIVISION II Sandusky’s Margheim opens tournament strong

Isaiah Margheim is feeling the pressure.

That didn’t stop him from taking care of business Thursday.

Click HERE for a gallery of photos from Day 1 in Division II

The Sandusky junior pinned Claymont’s Nate Gray in the second period to earn his spot in today’s Division II quarterfinals.

“I was still nervous, just because basically I’m not chasing anyone,” Margheim said. “Everyone is chasing me, so it’s a little nerve racking. It gives me more confidence, winning my first match. It gives me the boost to keep pushing”

Margheim will face Crestwood’s Kenny Jackson today in the quarterfinals.

Teammate Gene Porter (138) was pinned by last year’s state runner-up Ryan Skonieczny in the opening round, and saw his season come to an end on a 2-1 decision to Chillicothe’s Caleb Price in the consolation.

Click HERE to read more about Clyde's Minnick and Miller's opening day

Norwalk’s Charlie Nash (106) lost his opening bout on a 6-0 decision to Licking Valley’s Jake Martinez, but rebounded with a pin over Gallia Academy’s Jared Stevens. With the pin, Nash set a new single-season record at Norwalk for pinfalls, as he has 29 entering today.

Perkins’ John Workman (195) won his opening round for the Pirates, posting a 4-3 ultimate tie breaker over Carrollton’s Tyler Dodd.

Juwan Minnifield (120) fell 13-7 to Hillsboro’s Ryan Kelley, but rebounded with a 22-5 major decision over Conneaut’s Isaiah Ngiraingas. Alex Tetzloff (170) fell to Big Walnut’s Alec Eisnnicher 9-2, and saw his season come to an end at the hands of Richfield Revere’s Zeck Lehman, who pinned Tetzloff in the consolation.

Kordell Chaney (220) defaulted his opening match, but pinned Pomeroy Meigs’ Daylen Neece in the third period of his consolation match.

Oak Harbor’s Rhett Petersen (132) was pinned by St. Paris Graham Local’s Brent Moore, but rebounded with a 3-0 decision over London’s Garrett Blackburn. Teammate Jeremy Balboa (138) fell to Mantua Crestwood’s Jake Zemaitis, but won an 11-9 sudden victory over Big Walnut’s R. J. Martin to keep his season alive.

Also for the Rockets, Ben Petersen (145) fell 3-2 to Mantua Crestwood’s Nick Wrobel in the opener, then pinned Meadowbrook’s Bailey Jenkins in the first period of the consolation match.

Vermilion’s Mike Repko (152) won a 5-4 decision over Mifflin’s Hannibal Tate to advance to today’s quarterfinals.

Clyde’s Collin Mange dropped out of the competition, falling by pin to Warsaw River View’s Josh Kempf and losing an 8-6 decision to Franklin’s Chase Henderson.

Recommended for You