Leave Feedback

UPDATED WITH VIDEO: Dr. Phil weighs in

Register • Sep 28, 2013 at 5:20 AM

The "Dr. Phil" television program wrapped up five days of production and will air a program about the killing of Jacob Limberios.

Producers from "Dr. Phil" came to the village of Castalia on Saturday and interviewed Mike and Shannon Limberios, Jacob's parents, and others, for more than 17 hours at their home and later visited the York Township home where Jacob was killed March 2, 2012. They also went to the cemetery and the Ransom Funeral Home, located just five parcels away from the Limberios home. 

Mike and Shannon Limberios were flown to California on Tuesday for a taping of the program in front of a live audience.

Watch Between the Lines with Mike Limberios talking about the experience in the player below

Watch live streaming video from registermedia at livestream.com

"There were two different audiences," Mike Limberios told the Register on Wednesday evening, moments after getting off the program stage at the "Dr. Phil" studio in Los Angeles and stepping outside. "A lot's been happening. I'm pretty well spent." 

Brittany Bowers and Will Lewis, two of three witnesses inside the home when Jake was killed, also were flown to California and interviewed extensively by the show's host, Dr. Phil McGraw, a forensic psychologist, about what they remembered about the moments during which the 19-year-old was killed.

Bowers and Lewis have maintained that Jake shot himself with a .357 Magnum revolver Jake brought with him that night, which was planned as a social gathering with Brittany, his girlfriend's sister, to meet and get to know her boyfriend, Will. A third man, Evan Neidler, also attended the gathering. All four fired the gun in the backyard of the home before coming inside and flipping on the TV to watch "Jersey Shore." 

They watched the program just briefly — drinking beers and some alcohol — before Jacob was suddenly dead on the living room floor, in a pool of blood with a bullet into his head, and out, lodged in the ceiling after it ripped through his brain and was left there by deputies.

Dr. Cyril Wecht, a renowned pathologist with a pack of past celebrity casework, also was a guest on "Dr. Phil." Wecht conducted an autopsy in September 2012 — six months after Jake was killed — and told the Register that — without any logical doubt — Jacob was the victim of homicide.   

Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine took over the investigation in June after a judge ruled Sandusky County officials had "conflicts of interest." DeWine has asked Dr. Michael Baden, another renowned forensic pathologist, to review the autopsy findings. 

Mike Limberios and family attorney Dan McGookey said Dr. Phil asked Brittany and Will if they'd take another another lie detector test, and both agreed. McGookey said Dr. Phil introduced the show's polygraphist — a lie detector expert — as having a stellar reputation. 

"The questions Brittany and Will agreed to answer were 'Did Jacob shoot himself' and "Did you see Jacob shoot himself,'" McGookey said. 

The state's Bureau of Criminal Investigation, BCI, which works for the Ohio AG's office, conducted lie detectors in early 2012 and found both Brittany and Will to be truthful in the statements they made about how Jake died. 

But those test results, and the testing methodology used, have been intensely questioned by experts, McGookey said, and found to be wrong.

He predicted Dr. Phil's expert would also reach that conclusion, he said. 

Sandusky County Sheriff Kyle Overmyer and deputies determined almost immediately on March 2, 2012, that Jake shot himself. They called Sandusky County coroner John Wukie and told him that. Wukie ruled Jake's death a suicide, noting on the death certificate it might have been accidental. He never visited the home where Jake was killed and didn't order an autopsy until 14 months later, only after the family asked Wecht for help. 

Wecht conducted an autopsy and returned the body to Castalia Cemetery the same day it was exhumed. 

Lucas County deputy coroner Cynthia Beisser conducted the autopsy for Wukie, holding the body for about a week, and returning it on Mother's Day earlier this year. 

Beisser, in an email to Sandusky County officials, agreed with Wukie's determination, the one he was provided by the sheriff and deputies. She said her findings "were not inconsistent" with the narrative the sheriff and deputies provided. 

Recommended for You