Leave Feedback

Norwalk's Shamrock Tavern ravaged by fire (full story)

Sandusky Register Staff • Aug 2, 2010 at 11:40 PM


The Shamrock Tavern and Cameo Pizza businesses fell victim to a fire on Sunday afternoon in downtown Norwalk on Sunday evening.

A fire gutted an apartment above Shamrock Tavern on Sunday evening and likely caused significant damage to the bar itself.

The Norwalk Fire Department did not make details available by late Sunday night concerning where or how the fire may have started.

Gail Smith and Sherri Drum saw flames blazing out the windows of the apartment as they drove down North Hester Street on an outing to Wal-Mart at about 6:45 p.m.

They parked and watched the commotion for more than two hours.

The woman who lives in the apartment was home and escaped quickly, Smith said.

She exited through a door onto the roof of Cameo Pizza, which is attached to the Shamrock building, then climbed down a ladder firefighters brought.

The woman stood outside the taped-off area afterward, but she declined to answer questions.

The bar’s owners, the Schaffer family, also declined interviews.

Shamrock is closed Sundays. A sign painted on the side of the building boasts that it has operated for 60 years.

“It’s a good, responsible business in town,” mayor Sue Lesch said. “The best place to go on St. Patty’s Day.”

Milan Township Fire Department and Huron River Joint Fire District assisted at the scene. The fire was out by 8:45 p.m., but wisps of white smoke still rose from the roof as firefighters searched for hot spots.

They remained at the scene at least until 10:30 p.m. 

Recommended for You