Sister Mary Gregory George, OP, the former Alma George, 79, died Sunday, Feb. 4, 2007, in Our Lady of the Elms in Akron, Ohio.
Sister Gregory was the daughter of Louis and Anna Scofido George, now deceased, and entered the Sisters of St. Dominic of Akron from St. Joseph Parish, Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, on Sept. 8, 1945. She was in her 59th year of religious profession. Sister Gregory received her BSE and MSE from St. John College, Cleveland, and Ph.D. in education administration from the University of Pittsburgh.
She taught at St. Paul, St. Vincent and St. Matthew Schools, all in Akron; St. Joseph, Alliance, Ohio; SS. Peter & Paul, Doylestown, Ohio; and St. Augustine, Barberton, Ohio. From 1964-72 she was principal at St. Dominic, Youngstown, Ohio. She taught briefly at Cardinal Mooney High School, Youngstown. From 1974-75, she became educational consultant and in 1975-77 superintendent for the Akron Regional School Board for the Cleveland Diocese.
In 1981 Gregory became a tutor at the newly-founded adolescent chemical dependency facility at Edwin Shaw Hospital in Akron. This began her work in the field in chemical dependency. In 1981 she became program manager at the facility and began working with adult clients. From this position she was asked to move to Sandusky to establish adult and adolescent hospital-based inpatient units. She organized programs and educated staff members, families and community about addiction, addictive behaviors, recovery, relapse and the importance of family involvement. In 1986 she became program director, chief clinical coordinator and clinical supervisor at Firelands Centre Adult and Adolescent Substance Abuse Units in Sandusky. In 1998 Gregory was asked to establish a residential home for women coming out or going to prison, providing education and individual and group therapy. As a chemical dependency counselor, she conducted diagnostic assessments, worked with clients' referral sources, assembled a number of curriculum guides that were utilized in psycho-educational sessions with clients, conducted group sessions for females inmates at the county jail and had lectures at court-ordered programs for individuals convicted for DUI.
She received the Guin Roller Memorial Award for Excellence in helping individuals overcome addictions in October 1999 and the Lifetime Achievement Award for Excellence for outstanding dedication and commitment in support of the Mission of Mental Health & Recovery Board of Erie & Ottawa Counties in 2007.
Sister Gregory is survived by a sister, Rosalie (Victor) Romo of Santa Barbara, Calif.; nephews, Eric and Joseph Romo; niece, Anna Marie; a grandniece and grandnephew; and many cousins.
Calling hours will be from 3-7 p.m. Tuesday at Our Lady of the Elms Convent, 1230 W. Market St., Akron, with a wake service at 4 p.m. Mass of Christian Burial will be 9:30 a.m. Wednesday. Burial will follow at Holy Cross Cemetery.
Donations in memory of Sister Gregory may be made to the Sisters of St. Dominic, Bayshore Counseling Services, 1218 Cleveland Road, Sandusky, OH 44870, or Hospice of Visiting Nurse Service, 3340 Ridgewood Road, Akron, OH 44333.
Hummel Funeral Home, (888-253-6126), Akron, is in charge of arrangements.