Jerry Keith Alexander, Oct. 29, 1948 - Oct. 12, 2008

Jun 3, 2015


OCT. 29, 1948-OCT. 12, 2008


Jerry Keith Alexander, 59, of Sandusky, died Sunday, Oct. 12, 2008, of a heart attack in Milford, Conn.

He was born Oct. 29, 1948, in Sandusky, to Birdie and Prince Alexander. He was the youngest of three children. After the death of his mother Birdie, his father married Norma Jean Washington, who was his loving stepmother.

Jerry graduated in 1967 from Ontario Senior High School in Ontario, Ohio. He volunteered four years of service in the U.S. Marine Corps in 1968, attaining the rank of sergeant E-5. He trained as a helicopter hydraulic-pneumatic mechanic, trouble shooting and maintaining aircraft flight readiness during the Vietnam War. Jerry was honorably discharged in 1972.

Jerry graduated from Control Data Institute and was employed at McDonald Douglas as manufacturing coordinator in their Helicopter Division.

Jerry was a creative man with many talents and ideas. He attended various schools, which prepared him to operate as a licensed insurance broker and long-distance trucker. One of is most outstanding accomplishments was the independent self-contracting and building of his and Candace’s own beautiful home in Howard, Ohio.

Left to grieve his physical passing are his wife, Candace (Bows) Alexander of Howard; elder brother, Carl W. Alexander of Cincinnati; sister, Constance E. (Alexander) Cherry of Phoenix; nephews, Evan A. Alexander and Gregory Brown; niece, Erin L. Alexander; a host of great-nieces, nephews, cousins; and his brother-in-law, Bill Bows.

Jerry will remain a loving presence in all our hearts forever.

He was preceded in death by his father, Prince Albert Alexander; mother, Birdie Lenore Wood Alexander; and stepmother, Norma Jean Washington Alexander.

Visitation will be 10 a.m. Saturday until services at 11 a.m. in Mount Zion Baptist Church, Oberlin. The Rev. Anthoni D. McElrath, pastor of the church, will officiate. There will be a private family burial in Westwood Cemetery in Oberlin at a later date. Cowling Funeral Home of Oberlin handled local arrangements.