Vernos E. Williams, 93, of Sylvania, Ohio, passed away at his home Wednesday, March 12, 2008.
He was born June 6, 1914, in Sandusky, to Harry and Anna (Reisch) Williams. Vernos graduated from Sandusky High School in 1932. He served in the U.S. Army during World War II from 1941-1945. He was stationed in Europe for the greater part of the war. Upon discharge from the service, he married Olive Heckel, Easter Sunday, April 26, 1946. He owned and operated, with his brother Ellsworth, Williams Brothers Grocery, on Camp Street in Sandusky, for over twenty years. He then worked for New Departure-Hyatt GM, in Sandusky, until his retirement. Vernos was a member of Salem United Methodist Church in Sandusky for 61 years.
After retirement he traveled extensively throughout the United States, including Alaska. He also visited Italy, Germany, Switzerland and the Panama Canal.
He moved from Sandusky to Mayberry Village, in Sylvania, in December, 2006, and became a member of Epworth United Methodist Church.
He enjoyed spending time with his sons and their families. He was an avid Cleveland Indians fan and never missed a televised game. He enjoyed exercising, bingo, reading, and the company of the family pets. He was a loving husband, father and grandfather.
He is survived by his sons, Vernos (Mei Mei), Brian (Becky), and Dale (Lilly), all of Sylvania; grandchildren, Vicki Williams of Denver, Colo., Vernos Williams of Cincinnati, Seth (Kelly) Williams of Carlsbad, Calif., MollyWilliams, Kelsey Williams and Carson Williams of Sylvania; and by his brother, Harry Williams.
Vernos was preceded in death by his loving wife, Olive Williams; his brothers, Wayne and Ellsworth Williams; and sister, Muriel Amos.
Family and friends are invited to attend a memorial service at 11 a.m., Saturday, at Salem United Memorial Church, corner of Wayne and Division Streets, Sandusky; the Rev. Bob Thomas, of Epworth United Methodist Church, will officiate. Pfeil Funeral Home, Sandusky, is in charge of arrangements.
Memorial donations aresuggested to the charity of the donor's choice.