Apr 30, 2014

How much did the Ohio Turnpike mess cost?

Who is paying to clean up the Ohio Turnpike after all the cars were piled up and stuck for hours? Will it be taxpayers or the companies whose trucks were driving during the Level 3 snow emergency? Linda in Sandusky

Linda's referencing a triple-fatal crash occurring on the Ohio Turnpike in March, stranding hundreds of motorists on the highway for hours.

Adam Greenslade, an Ohio Turnpike and Infrastructure Commission spokesman, provided the following response:

First, in an effort to clear up a common misconception, the Ohio Turnpike’s operations are funded almost entirely by toll revenue, not taxes. In 2013, nearly 93 percent of the turnpike’s overall revenue budget was funded by customer tolls. The remaining 7 percent is almost exclusively from concession sales at each of its 14 service plazas.

In regards to the question as to who pays for the cleanup related to accidents on the Ohio Turnpike, the short answer is that at-fault drivers do. Not only do those responsible pay for labor and services related to the clean-up effort, they are also billed for any property damage or loss of toll revenue resulting from the accident. The accounting for the unfortunate and tragic events of March 12 is much more complex, given the volume of vehicles involved and number of individual incidents. The Ohio Turnpike, in coordination with the Ohio State Highway Patrol, is working to identify all responsible parties and will invoice drivers, companies and/or insurance providers accordingly.

The Register immedidately relayed a public records request to collect the invoices, to which Greenslade responded with this:

I do not have any clear indication from our general counsel as to when these invoices will be sent. I know they are still collecting information related to the overall costs, and they’re hoping to complete this portion as early as next week, however, the apportionment of these costs to at-fault parties could take months for the reasons I cited in the previous response.

The Register sent another public to the legal counsel seeking to obtain any and all invoices once generated. It's not known when that will be.

 

The Mailbag is a daily feature on sanduskyregister.com. Each weekday at noon, we will post one question from a reader and answer it. To ask a question, send a letter to The Mailbag at 314 W. Market St., or email mailbag@sanduskyregister.com. Please include your first name and a location in the email, e.g. “John from Decatur Street."

Comments

holysee

Turnpike should pay, they were ones with open road and they have more money than bill gates

holysee

Because they have bill gates

Informed

All roads were open. I don't know of any that were actually closed. Nonetheless, county emergency levels do not apply to the turnpike.

YouMustBeJoking

I was involved in an accident about 10 years ago on the New York turnpike. I was hit from behind by a semi driver. The semi that hit me kept going, my car was totaled. Luckily there was a man that was behind us both, that seen the entire accident. About 6 months later I got a bill from N.Y. Turnpike for the $6.70 toll, as well as $275.00 for grade work, (due to my car finally coming to a stop, on the side of the road in the grass), that as of 2 months ago still hasn't been touched. It took 6 months but I got billed. I'm sure Ohio is no different, just give them some time.