What's the story behind the Sandusky Greenhouse's dog statue?
Sandusky greenhouse manager Tom Speir provided the following answer:
The iron dog statue was given to the city by George and Ethel Matthes. Mr. Matthes was President of the Matthes Coal Company.
The dog was in the back yard of their house on East Washington Street until it was moved to the city greenhouse upon it's donation sometime in the 1970's.
An Internet researcher verified the approximate age of the dog from an antique garden art dealer. The dog, a Newfoundland, was cast in the 1860's and it is not, as far as we know, made from melted Civil War cannon balls as local legend implies.