Whether you prefer to stroll along the midway for some popular fair food or enjoy a show in the comfort of an air-conditioned theater, there's something to entertain everyone this weekend. Head to a popular local festival (which happens to be celebrating its 20th anniversary), enjoy two distinctly unique theater productions and listen to some great local music.
Huron River Fest
• Why you should go: This popular festival is celebrating its 20th anniversary, and you’re invited! You’ll get to enjoy plenty of live entertainment from Cold Sweat, The Todd’s, The Womack Family Band and Slush Bucket. There will also be a Queen contest, a parade, a
pancake breakfast, fireworks over the river, a HHS Vocal Music Showcase, rides, delicious food and more.
• WHEN: July 8-10
• WHERE: Huron Boat Basin & Amphitheater, 417 Main St., Huron
• COST: Free
"Cheaper by the Dozen"
• Why you should go: Many of you are probably familiar with the 2003 movie of the same name, which stars Steve Martin, Tom Welling and Bonnie Hunt. However, the Huron Playhouse production is different from the movie -— it relates the true story of the Gilbreth family as told by two of the older children.
• WHEN: 8 p.m. July 5-9
• WHERE: Huron Playhouse, 325 Ohio St., Huron
• COST: $16/adult, $15/students and seniors, $12/children under 12
• INFO: 419-433-4744
"Little Shop of Horrors"
• Why you should go: A down-and-out Skid Row floral assistant becomes an overnight sensation when he discovers an exotic plant with a mysterious craving for fresh blood. Soon, “Audrey II” grows into an ill-tempered, foul-mouthed, R&B-singing carnivore who offers him fame and fortune in exchange for feeding its growing appetite. The Doo-wop singers add to the fun, and you’ll love great songs like “Suddenly Seymour,” “Suppertime,” “Feed Me” and “Somewhere That’s Green.”
• WHEN: 7:30 p.m. July 8-10
• WHERE: The Ritz Theatre, 30 S. Washington St., Tiffin
• COST: $15/adult, $10/student
• INFO: 419-448-8544
• Why you should go: For all you metalheads out there, popular Cleveland-based band Mushroomhead is making its way back to The Underground. Other guests include J Mann & Roxy, Discordia and Russett Burbank. This is an ages 18 and up show only.
• WHEN: 7 p.m. July 9
• WHERE: The Underground, 224 E. Water St., Sandusky
• COST: $20/advance ticket, $25/at door
• INFO: 419-609-9463
The Sewing Circle
• Why you should go: This trio, comprised of Meghan Blake, Cajon Keeton and Andrew Rohde, is one of the best regional indie bands around — and their unique brand of lyrics, music and performance is definitely worth a trip out to Hermes Vineyards, (which also happens to be their second home). Besides, who doesn’t like wine?
• WHEN: 8 p.m. July 9
• WHERE: Hermes Vineyards and Winery, 6413 Hayes Ave., Sandusky
• COST: Free
• INFO: 419-626-8500
Lead art: photo credit to Ashlee Elaine of Elaine Von Photography, from thesewingcircle.net.
Be sure to visit Funcoast.com every Tuesday for our top five picks! Have suggestions for a top five? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.