Remember when skunk hides sold for $3? Neither do we — because it was 90 years ago. The Sandusky History blog this week reminds us of the Lake Erie Hide and Leather Company.
"The Lake Erie Hide and Leather Company was incorporated on October 5, 1909, and was located at the southeast corner of Hayes Avenue and North Depot Street. In 1912 the officers of the Lake Erie Hide and Leather Company were: A.G. Kibler, president; M.M. Kibler, vice-president; A.F. Cronenberger, secretary; and S.J. Kibler, treasurer. The Kibler family was from New Washington, Ohio, where several family members were associated with a tannery business and other business and political interests. Products carried by the Lake Erie Hide and Leather Company included hides, furs, wool, tallow, and pelts. An advertisement which appeared in the January 5, 1922 issue of the Sandusky Register listed the prices for a variety of hides. Opossum hides sold for seventy cents, mink for seven dollars, skunks for three dollars, and large red rat hides sold for a dollar and fifty cents."
Keep reading HERE.