"News" comes from anywhere and everywhere these days.
Maybe a better word for it is information.
Early today, several of my friends changed their profile pictures on Facebook to a red background with a pink equal sign, and my curiosity piqued. Perhaps you saw it, too.
Quickly, I learned it was a movement from the Human Rights Campaign, which lobbies for LGBT equal rights — which made sense for the friends I saw posting it on their profiles.
They're friends who have always made their stance on the matter abundantly clear. Props to my former ruggers, my roller derby teammates, and dozens of others, former roommates, co-workers and classmates. These are friends who don't flippantly change their profiles to support the cause of the week. These are people I know and respect.
And I'm so glad to see them united, many strangers to each other, but speaking out clearly for a cause they believe in.
So why today? Because today is the first day of two for arguments before the U.S. Supreme Court on California's Proposition 8, a historical event in what will happen with same-sex marriage in this country.
Comprehensive coverage from many sources:
• First, the LA Times on the likely votes of the court.
• Then, the New York Times on the intersection between Catholic schoolchildren, an Ohio lesbian couple, and a drag queen HERE.
• Bullet point breakdown from USA Today HERE.
• Click HERE for more on the Human Rights Campaign.
• A blog on the best social media images supporting same sex marriage. I particularly love the rainbow house (I want one!), and an image illustrating the similarities between protestors who once opposed equal rights regarding race to another group opposing equal rights for LGBT.
So. Where do you stand?
Sidenote on roller derby: SRG played Gem City Rollergirls for our season opener last weekend. We lost 208-142, not a horrible spread for a bout, especially considering they obliterated us last year. It also means when we host them next month, on April 27, you're guaranteed to see some great derby action. More information and updates HERE.