What happens in Las Vegas, shows on the scale

Kristin Gleis
Mar 23, 2010


Vegas was a blast. I absolutely loved it; I didn't love the scale, though. I gained 5.6 pounds. Wow, I guess I shouldn't have eaten that brownie or drank that second strawberry daiquiri, but heck, you only live once and everyone has their weak moments.

My friend Mary and I left for Detroit on Feb. 8. Our flight was early in the morning on Feb. 9, so we figured it would be easier to stay close to the airport. On our way, we stopped at Wal-Mart in Port Clinton, I ran into a friend of the family who told me that he works out at the same gym as FIT contestant Ken Gipe. I jokingly asked Jimmy if he could sabotage Ken's workout, while I was out of town. I knew I was going to be a little off of my game. Jimmy told me he wouldn’t, and also advised that I should only cheat once and then jump back in the game. Thanks for the advice. I think I earned a technical foul this game.

Once we arrived at our hotel, we went to the local Bob Evans. I enjoyed a wild fire chicken salad, which I could not finish. Pat on the back for me. I also had a Weight Watchers brownie that night. Let me tell ya, those things are out of this world.

We awoke early on Feb. 9 for our flight, and I had a bagel with jam for breakfast. When we arrived at the airport, we completed our breakfast with a Bloody Mary. This drink was my first drink on the trip, and boy, was it tasty. While in the air flying to Las Vegas, I had a SKYY Vodka and Diet Sprite.

We arrived in Las Vegas around 11 a.m. Feb. 9. My only real meal this day was dinner. Mary and I went to Dick's Last Resort. They do not offer a lot of healthy choices there, so I had BBQ chicken. Hey, it’s protein; I'm okay, right? I also had a few drinks. Las Vegas was very cold that day, so we just hung out between our hotel and the Luxor. Mary and I gambled, drank and just had a real good time.

Feb. 10, we traveled to Fremont Street. We walked around for hours just taking in all the sights, A little bit of exercise here, after all walking is good for the legs and heart. Feb. 11, I woke up early and went to the gym in our hotel. The gym was beautiful. I think I worked out for two hours. I was using equipment I had never used before. I was having so much fun in that gym. I guess two hours was not long enough considering my Feb. 16 weigh-in.

On Feb. 11, we walked the strip and I swear we walked 10 miles. That day, I ate at a buffet. I started with a salad and then moved on to a small slice of meat and a roll. I am a carb junky. I crave crabs all the time. That one roll, I believe led to two extra rolls. I didn't do too badly that night since we went and saw a show. I was away from all the food that night.

Feb. 12, we went to the buffet in our hotel. I had fruit with granola, cottage cheese and a bagel. I did not eat again until we arrived at the airport that day to come home. At the airport, I had a grilled chicken sandwich and a Diet Coke.

I started this blog by saying that I should not have eaten that brownie. Let me tell you more. There was a bakery in our hotel where I bought this a peanut butter brownie, which was amazing. It had whipped cream and a chocolate bar on top. Yummy. 

I'm home now and I have my nose back to the grindstone. I have to get this extra weight off. I think I will have to put in a bit of overtime this week.