Are You A QMB - Qualified Medicare Beneficiary?

Sue Daugherty
Mar 23, 2010

 

Being informed can pay huge benefits, especially if you are a low-income household. 

Did you know that there are several programs to help low-income Medicare consumers afford their health care?

One of programs I think more people should be aware of is QMB. It stands for "Qualified Medicare Beneficiary." Medicare consumers who earn a gross monthly income (not net monthly income) of $887/month (single person) or $1,187/month (married couple) are eligible to be a Qualified Medicare Beneficiary. If you haven’t applied to be a QMB, you should. Here’s why:

·         If you are ever hospitalized, the first $1,068 comes your of your pocket, but if you are a “QMB” they are paid for you.

·         If you are ever hospitalized, Medicare only pays 80 percent of the bill. The other 20 percent is to be paid by the patient, but if you are a “QMB” this is paid for you.

·         Each month $96.40 is deducted from your Social Security check to pay for your Medicare Part B premium. This is the policy that pays for most of the cost of outpatient care (i.e., doctor’s office, physical therapy, occupational therapy, lab work, etc.). If you are a “QMB” the monthly premium is paid for you.

If you think you might qualify, it’s worth the time and trouble to look into the program. The older you get, the more likely it is that you will use hospital and outpatient services.

Call Serving Our Seniors at 419-624-1856 or 800-564-1856 and ask for assistance applying for QMB. The staff there can help you fill out the paperwork and send it in for you.

Comments

NOTJUSTABYSTANDER

My mother has been on this program for years and we thank GOD. She has had to have numerous surgeries and has yet to pay $1 out of pocket thanks to the QMB! It also puts more money in her pocket every month because it pays her Medicare payment and co-pays! For all you seniors out there having a hard time making ends meet this is a very smart GREAT program.

BLACKJACK

justchickingmyrigister