FIT CHALLENGE: Wessels makes 'dramatic' changes

Jan 10, 2012


This past week has gotten off to a rousing start.  On Jan. 3, I visited the Register building in order to get my humbling “before” pictures.  

I’m counting the photos as my first official workout, as I believe we took them on the 37th floor of the building.  On Jan. 4, after school, I headed to NOMS Fitness Center in order to get started on my first real steps towards gaining a healthier me.

As I walked into the NOMS Fitness Center, I must say, I felt rather intimidated.  That didn’t last long.  My personal trainers Nicole Shelley and Patrick Carmean made me feel more than welcome.  Both of them genuinely seemed excited that I was there.  Before we could get started, we needed to get the facts and figures that went along with the “before” photos.  Again, this is a moment where I figured I might get a little self-conscious.  I decided to not let these numbers affect me, as I knew I was going to begin working on lowering them.

Thursday is when the action really started.  I came in and did a couple initial tests with Patrick, including measuring my (RMR) or Resting Metabolic Rate.  After these tests, I got started on the treadmill, knocking out a couple of miles.  While it has only been a week, I’ve yet to miss a day.  I’ve generally spent between 60-70 minutes on the treadmill, covering anywhere between 3-4 miles.  After a couple of my workouts, I had the fortune of having a couple of longtime members, come up to me and wish me luck with the challenge.

On Monday, I decided to get my workout done in the morning before I had to go to work.  It’s rather peaceful in the morning.  The biggest drawback today was simply logistics.  It was a bit difficult accomplishing all of my goals for the day and getting showered and back home by 7 a.m. to pick up my son for school.  I was only able to knock out 2.75 miles before I felt compelled to get ready for work.  I enjoyed being there in the morning, but I’m going to have to do a much better job getting myself organized the night before.

I’ve made some pretty dramatic changes in what I am eating.  I’ve never disliked fruits and veggies, but like many others, I have tended to find other foods more “convenient,” especially when you’re part of a family that is going in several different directions all at the same time.  I’ve cut back on the amount of food that I’m eating, and with the help of my wife and kids, I’m making better decisions about what I do eat. 
Is there anything that I’ve missed over the last week?  Two words…peanut butter.  There wasn’t a day that went by that I didn’t have at least a spoonful of peanut butter right out of the jar.  I’ve substituted that for almonds, and truth be told, I’m beginning to develop an affinity for them.

Sunday night I decided to put a small post on my Facebook page about how things were going.  I must tell you that it was awesome reading the wonderful comments from folks from all facets of my life.  I am humbled by their words, but at the same time, they’ve inspired me to want to push myself even harder.  I can’t thank them enough for their kind words.  I also can’t thank Patrick enough for the positive reinforcement he has shown me over the first week.  I truly hope that Carla and Derek are finding great success in their endeavors as well.

— Craig Wessels


VTX Rider

 Awesome first week Craig!!  Keep it up and you will see amazing changes in every aspect of your life, both physically and mentally.

Next time you see Patrick, call him by his nickname, "The Total Package"!  He'll get a kick out of it.  


Keep up the good work!