And this time around, it’s a new world of scare, with the flesheating living dead and glassyeyed teachers prowling the halls and locker rooms at Cedar Point’s Zombie High, waiting for unsuspecting visitors.
HalloWeekends is also about families, too, so there are two new family-friendly Halloween-themed events. Given that children love dinosaurs and Trick-or-Treat, Cedar Point combined the two to form Trick-or-Treat with the Dinosaurs.
There’s also Howl-O-Palooza, which includes Hay Bale Maze, the children’s funhouse Magical House on Boo Hill, and the Peanuts Halloween Show and Costume Contest.
For many, HalloWeekends is Cedar Point’s most exciting offering of the year. Rob Gasper, Emily Zielinski and Nick Rathbun, of Michigan, are American Coaster Enthusiasts members who were at the park Friday.
“We’re celebrating the opening of HalloWeekends,” Zielinski said.
“The park is completely different than any other time of year,” Gasper said. It’s hard to argue with that. There was a perpetual chill in the air Friday afternoon, and the crowds weren’t quite as large. There was also plenty of eerie fog and enhanced lighting throughout the park.
Meanwhile, this is Cedar Point general manager and vice president John Hildebrandt’s last year for HalloWeekends, as he’s gearing up to retire in a few months.
Hildebrandt, part of the original group that brainstormed HalloWeekends in 1997, walked the park Friday to make sure everything was running smoothly.
“This is one of my favorite times of year,” he said, pointing out that the park offers more entertainment at this time of year than any other.
“It’s a great product,” he said. “I’m proud of it.”
All the standard scares and favorites have also returned to the midway, including:
• Eerie Estate: A stately limestone mansion that harbors deep, dark secrets.
• Eden Musee: A chilling throwback to the historic Cedar Point attraction.
• Fear Faire: An outdoor maze filled with centuries-old spirits and medieval mayhem.
• Eternity Infirmary: You may become the next patient.
• Maniacal Mechanical Screamworks: A metallic world of science fiction.
• Blood on the Bayou: Mysteries lurk along the dark murky waters.
• Carnevil: These crazy clowns and sideshow freaks are always recruiting.
• Cut Throat Cove: This fog-filled attraction will make you want to abandon ship.
• CornStalkers: A twisted maze of terror where someone is always watching.