In an effort to save $100 million a year, about 2,500 Macy’s employees — 1.4 percent of the company’s workforce — will be laid off and eligible for severance as a result of organizational changes, the company said.
The local Macy’s was spared. “It’s business as usual for us in Sandusky” said Andrea Schwartz, Macy’s spokeswoman.
The company is also closing five of its 845 stores and opening five others.
The stores that are closing:
• Mesa, Ariz. (98 employees)
• Overland Park, Kan. (88 employees)
• Florissant, Mo. (88 employees)
• Irondequoit, N.Y. (96 employees)
• Murray, Utah (42 employees)
As of Thursday afternoon, Macy’s stock was trading at $55.83, up 7.7 percent from the day prior.