Two months have passed in the press for finalization of the project "sell Battery Park." The city makes us believe that this was time for reconciliation and negotiation. I haven't seen any. Meanwhile, they get Gary Packan ready for the next play and protect him with two new players. Not a good sign in a democracy of the people.
Alvin Toffler the futurist says truth comes from six places:
• Consensus -- We agree, we being taxpayers, not bystanders or politicos.
• Consistency -- We did it this way last time around and it worked.
• Authority -- "Mr. Will says so."
• Revelation -- "The architect told Mr. Will so."
• Durability -- We have always done it this way.
• Science -- Real numbers about the project (merely a detail).
When you find out what you get from this project, the results will make you cry. The mission should not be how mnay units can you cram in to raise the dough to move city hall. Time is not pressing. The sky will not fall in. Nothing here represents the citizens, only "more and better" for the inhabitants of city hall.
I recommend city hall move the barge in the center of the bay anchored by three stout poles of the best design Mr. Lippus can offer. "Unlocking the hidden value" of Battery Park may become the nightmare of 2007.