The Sandusky Register set the pace in the annual Associated Press best journalism competition, earning 20 nominations, the most among all the newspapers in Ohio that competed in its category.
The nominations were announced Wednesday.
The SR's "Decision 2013" election programming was nominated in the best use of multi-media digital newspaper category. The Register's election programming included daily campaign coverage, hard copy and digital election guides, a series of live debates and live election night coverage with up-to-the-minute results.
The Defiance Crescent-News also was nominated in the expansive category for its high school sports digital programming.
The Register's August 2013 special magazine, "100 Years Forward," a tribute to Knute Rockne and the perfection of football's forward pass on the Cedar Point beach, earned a nomination as the best special section of the year.
The Register's hard-hitting series "Stabbed, beaten, burned and zapped: Autopsies often say what police want them to say," was recognized as the best investigative reporting in 2013, up against work by the Warren Tribune Chronicle and the Elyria Chronicle-Telegram.
The newsroom's design editors and the multi-media staff snagged top honors in a variety of fields in the competition.
Chief photographer Luke Wark and photographer Angela Wilhelm scooped up two of the three slots in the best photographer in the state category and lead design editor Nick Davis earned nominations in the graphics, best page one and best design categories.
Design chief Mike Schaffer and design editor Karen Mork earned best headline writer nominations and Schaffer also was selected for best page one.
The annual Associated Press awards banquet happens in May, where the winners and placements will be announced and the "Best Daily" newspaper in the state distinction will be awarded. There are just four winners in the general excellence award category each year from a competition that includes all Ohio AP newspapers in every circulation category.
The Register has been nominated by the Associated Press judges for the "Best Daily" award every year since 2008, winning the recognition five years straight.
Here is the list of Register nominations:
• Best Headline Writer: Design chief Mike Schaffer; design editor Karen Mork
• Best Business Writer: Reporter Andy Ouriel
• Best Editorial Writer: Managing editor Matt Westerhold
• Best Graphics Artist: Design editor Karen Holcomb
• Best Photographer: Chief photographer Luke Wark; photographer Angela Wilhelm
• Best Special Sports Section: Sports editor Mark Hazelwood "100 Years Forward"
• Best Informational Graphics: Lead design editor Nick Davis, "Crash Map"
• Best Breaking News Photo: Luke Wark, "A Mighty Wind" and Luke Wark, "The Roof is on Fire"
• Best General News Photo: Luke Wark, "A Father's Grief"
• Best Sports Photo: Angela Wilhelm, "Shot Denied"
• Best Photo Essay: Angela Wilhelm, "The Perfect Legacy" and Luke Wark, "Kyra's Story"
• Best Breaking News Coverage: Reporter Courtney Astolfi, "Campbell Street House Fire, Murder"
• Best Investigative Reporting: Reporters Jessica Cuffman and Courtney Astolfi, "Stabbed, Beaten, Burned and Zapped: Autopsies often say what police want them to say"
• Best Full Page Layout: Nick Davis, "MLB Stadium Tour"
• Best Page One Layout: Mike Schaffer and Nick Davis, Sandusky Register
• Best Use of Multimedia: Sandusky Register's "Decision 2013" election coverage