Student accused in gun threats

Deputies: 14-year-old said he’d bring AK-47 to school
Jessica Cuffman
Dec 21, 2013
A 14-year-old Western Reserve High School student remains in the juvenile detention center for allegedly threatening to bring a gun to school earlier this week.

On Tuesday, the boy made threats toward classmates and a teacher, Huron County Chief Deputy Ted Patrick said.

“We learned the kid had made threats to get an AK-47 and come back to the school and shoot staff members and students” he said.

High school administrators immediately suspended him, but didn’t report the incident to police until two days later, when a deputy serving paperwork in an unrelated case happened to be at the school. After learning of the allegations, deputies tracked the teen down at his home in Wakeman and arrested him for inducing panic in a school facility and aggravated menacing.

“We did get some admissions from him that he was being bullied, and he was very distraught” Patrick said.

The boy also allegedly told deputies that once, when he was in Kentucky, he had shot at people and wasn’t afraid to do it again.

When deputies interviewed the boy’s guardian, they learned there were firearms in the home, but the guardian said the guns had locks on them.

The child, however, said he had ammunition and access to an AK-47.

Police took him to the juvenile detention center in Seneca County until he could appear at a hearing in Huron County Juvenile Court Friday morning.

At the detention hearing, a judge ordered the boy remain in custody on an aggravated menacing charge, and that he be sent for a psychological evaluation before another hearing would be scheduled, court administrator Chris Mushett said.

School administrators are required by law to report such threats of violence to law enforcement immediately.

It was unclear Friday why administrators at Western Reserve High School hadn’t done so, but Patrick said when deputies met with the principal and assistant principal to talk about the issue, they were cooperative.

Attempts to reach district superintendent Rodge Wilson or high school principal Lisa Border were unsuccessful Friday evening.

Acting as a precaution, deputies stationed themselves outside the high school Friday morning as students arrived for classes.

“We didn’t know if he was working in concert with someone else or if he had these intentions on his own” Patrick said.

The school day went on without incident.

Comments

Unassumer

Bet he doesn't even have or know where to get an AK-47 but still he should not be making threats at school. Dumba**.