UPDATE: A raging inferno swallowed up a Margaretta Township storage facility Tuesday evening, taking down dozens of campers, boats, cars and other vehicles.
Margaretta Township firefighters received the call at about 7 p.m. — a working fire at Killingsworth Interior Storage on Bardshar Road, Margaretta fire chief Bill Mohr said.
More than 35 firefighters from Margaretta, Sandusky, Bay View, Perkins and Groton townships descended on the scene.
While firefighters worked to fight the flames, the blaze was not easy to quell given the amount of fuel inside the facility. It ignited fast and hot, Mohr said.
More than 30 cars were stored there, along with 12 boats, a handful of campers, and countless other vehicles, including Jet Skis, snowmobiles and four-wheelers.
The facility and its contents were a total loss, Mohr said.
Flames stretched upwards of 80 feet into the air, and black smoke billowed even higher.
The fire could easily be seen from Ohio 2, while hot ash and embers rained down on those closer to the scene. The sound of fuel tanks popping and igniting were only overcome by the hum of fire hoses pumping gallons upon gallons of water out onto the grounds. A grass fire started in one area of the property, and a small out-building also burned to the ground.
As for the nearby home: “It was damaged, not destroyed. There was melted siding,” Mohr said.
No injuries were reported as of late Tuesday night.
By 8:45 p.m., firefighters had the fire mostly under control, Mohr said. Crews planned to continue dousing hotspots with water until this morning.
“We’re going to wait until first light and see where we stand,” he said. “The state fire marshal is coming in the morning.”
Firefighters haven’t zeroed in on a cause, but “everything’s pointing to an accidental fire,” Mohr said. “Because of the large dollar loss and the size of the structure, we’re waiting to speak with the fire marshal to determine that.”
Firefighters also plan to review storage contracts to determine the owners’ total financial losses. That process could take upwards of a week.
Emergency crews closed down portions of Bardshar Road while they fought the blaze.
Tuesday: 7:30 p.m.- Firefighters are currently trying to contain a large barn fire at 1920 Bardshar Road, just south of Ohio 2.
At about 7:10 p.m., the building was fully engulfed. No one is inside the building, but firefighters said the blaze could spread to nearby fields, according to police scanner traffic.
The road is currently closed at Homegardner Road and Ohio 101, according to an Erie County Sheriff dispatcher.
Check back for updates and look for more in today's Sandusky Register