A fire that destroyed a Wamajo Drive house originated around the stove, but fire officials said it's still unclear exactly what sparked the blaze.
"We can't determine whether it was caused by unattended food or a faulty range because of the damage to the range," interim Sandusky fire Chief Paul Ricci said.
Investigators found cooking utensils that matched patterns on the countertop. Ricci said there may still be a forensic investigation on the range to find out if the stove had a defect.
The fire broke out at about 5 a.m. New Year's Day at 1113 Wamajo Drive. Anesha Kennon, 26, the only person home at the time, was treated for minor injuries.
The fire chewed through most of the roof and caused about $40,000 in damage to the structure and its contents, Ricci said.
The house is owned by the Erie Metropolitan Housing Authority and was last appraised at $47,000 in 2006, according to the auditor's website.
The housing authority is still working with its insurance provider to determine whether to demolish or reconstruct the house, Ricci said.
It's also working to provide arrangements for Kennon and her children, he said.
She's staying at a Washington Street home in the meantime.