Smoke in pool room interrupts high school band banquet

An overheated pool motor filled a storage room with smoke at Margaretta High School, interrupting a band banquet. Bobbi Elliott said a few dozen band students and their parents were eating in the gymnasium Monday evening when the fire alarm sounded, forcing everyone to evacuate. "The fire department came and told everyone to go home,' she said.
Sandusky Register Staff
May 18, 2010

 

 

An overheated pool motor filled a storage room with smoke at Margaretta High School, interrupting a band banquet.

Bobbi Elliott said a few dozen band students and their parents were eating in the gymnasium Monday evening when the fire alarm sounded, forcing everyone to evacuate.

“The fire department came and told everyone to go home,” she said.

Castalia fire Lt. Dan Strayer said something caused part of the building to lose power but a motor for the pool pump continued running, causing it to overheat. That filled a storage area underneath the pool with smoke.

Strayer said firefighters responded just after 7:30 p.m. to shut off the power to the pump. They cleared the scene within about half an hour.

School officials are still assessing whether there was any damage, he said, and fire officials are working with Ohio Edison to determine what caused the power outage.

Elliott said the seniors being honored at the banquet will receive their awards at a band concert Wednesday evening.