A kettle of grease caught fire and exploded in the face of a 43-year-old man on Monday, sending him to the hospital while firefighters battled the blaze in his kitchen.
William Everly was cooking chicken wings on the stove when a grease fire erupted in the kitchen of his West Monroe Street apartment shortly after 6:30 p.m.
The fire scorched the walls, burned the ceiling and melted the cabinets.
Everly’s mother, Nina Wilson, arrived on scene minutes after firefighters; she was frantic to see her son, still in the ambulance.
“Where’s my son?” she asked Sandusky fire Capt. Brian Cowie, who led her to the ambulance and helped her inside.
“He lost the skin on his nose, forehead and cheeks,” Wilson said shortly after talking her son.
Everly was taken by ambulance to Firelands Regional Medical Center, where he was treated and released by late Monday.
Everly called his mom as he tried to fight the fire, but the flames only continued to climb up the walls and behind the cabinets.
“He said, ‘Mom, I’m trying to put it out.’ I told him to get out,” Wilson said.
Sandusky firefighters arrived on scene within minutes and quickly knocked down the fire.
The building is a two-unit duplex. The kitchen sustained heavy damage, while the other apartment was not damaged, Cowie said.
Everly was involved in an incident in May where a woman stabbed him in the chest in the very same kitchen that caught fire Monday.
Police said months ago that Teresa Cheatham, 29, stabbed Everly, who required 14 stitches to seal the wound.
Cheatham was charged with domestic violence, felonious assault, tampering with evidence and voluntary intoxication in connection with the stabbing.