A fire in the kitchen of a West Monroe Street apartment Monday evening sent one man to the hospital to be treated for burn injuries.
Sandusky firefighters were called to 3205 W. Monroe St. shortly after 6:30 p.m., where they quickly knocked out a fire in the apartment's kitchen. The building is a two-unit duplex.
Firefighters said it appears the man was cooking on the stove when a grease fire erupted. The kitchen sustained heavy fire damage, while the adjoining apartment was not damaged at all.
The man was taken by ambulance to Firelands Regional Medical Center to be treated for his injuries, the extent of which was unknown.
Updated 7:40 p.m.: Relatives say the man who was burned in the kitchen fire is William Everly, 43. He was cooking chicken wings on the stove when the grease exploded in his face.
Everly's mother said he suffered severe burns to his face.
Check back for updates and read more in Tuesday's Register.