Second bomb suspect captured alive

Boston police: 'Suspect in custody'
Associated Press
Apr 19, 2013

A 19-year-old college student wanted in the Boston Marathon bombings was taken into custody Friday evening after a manhunt that left the city virtually paralyzed and his older brother and accomplice dead.

Police announced via Twitter that Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was in custody. They later wrote, "CAPTURED!!! The hunt is over. The search is done. The terror is over. And justice has won. Suspect in custody."

Tsarnaev's brother, 26-year-old Tamerlan, was killed Friday in a furious attempt to escape police.

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev had been holed up in a boat in a Watertown neighborhood. The crowd gathered near the scene let out a cheer when spectators saw officers clapping.

"Everyone wants him alive," said Kathleen Paolillo, a 27-year-old teacher who lives in Watertown.

Boston Mayor Tom Menino tweeted "We got him," along with a photo of the police commissioner speaking to him.

During a long night of violence Thursday into Friday, the brothers killed an MIT police officer, severely wounded another lawman and hurled explosives at police in a car chase and gun battle, authorities said.

The suspects were identified by law enforcement officials and family members as Dzhokhar and Tamerlan Tsarnaev, ethnic Chechen brothers who had lived in Dagestan, which neighbors Chechnya in southern Russia. They had been in the U.S. for about a decade, an uncle said, and were believed to be living in Cambridge, Mass.

Tamerlan Tsarnaev, a 26-year-old who had been known to the FBI as Suspect No. 1 and was seen in surveillance footage of the marathon in a black baseball cap, was killed overnight, officials said. His younger brother, who had been dubbed Suspect No. 2 and was seen wearing a white, backward baseball cap in the images from Monday's deadly bombing — escaped and was on the run.

Their uncle in Maryland, Ruslan Tsarni, pleaded on live television: "Dzhokhar, if you are alive, turn yourself in and ask for forgiveness."

Authorities in Boston suspended all mass transit and warned close to 1 million people in the entire city and some of its suburbs to stay indoors as the hunt for Suspect No. 2 went on. Businesses were asked not to open. People waiting at bus and subway stops were told to go home. The Red Sox and Bruins postponed their games.

From Watertown to Cambridge, police SWAT teams, sharpshooters and FBI agents surrounded various buildings as police helicopters buzzed overhead and armored vehicles rumbled through the streets. Authorities also searched trains.

"We believe this man to be a terrorist," said Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis. "We believe this to be a man who's come here to kill people."

The bombings on Monday killed three people and wounded more than 180 others, tearing off limbs in a spray of shrapnel and instantly raising the specter of another terrorist attack on U.S. soil.

Chechnya was the scene of two wars between Russian forces and separatists since 1994, in which tens of thousands were killed in heavy Russian bombing. That spawned an Islamic insurgency that has carried out deadly bombings in Russia and the region, although not in the West.

Investigators in the Boston case have shed no light on the motive for the bombing and have said it is unclear whether it was the work of domestic or international terrorists or someone else entirely with an unknown agenda.

The endgame — at least for Suspect No. 1 — came just hours after the FBI released photos and video of the two young men at the marathon's finish line and appealed to the public for help in identifying and capturing them.

State Police spokesman Dave Procopio said police realized they were dealing with the bombing suspects based on what the two men told a carjacking victim during their getaway attempt overnight.

___

Sullivan and Associated Press writers Stephen Braun and Jack Gillum reported from Washington. Associated Press writers Mike Hill, Katie Zezima, Pat Eaton-Robb and Steve LeBlanc in Boston and Jeff Donn in Cambridge, Mass., contributed to this report.

Comments

Grandpa04

Moderators have removed this comment because it contained Remarks advocating illegal or violent actions.

There you go again

Do you think background checks would have prevented this?!?!

Phil Packer

Moderators have removed this comment because it contained Personal attacks (including: name calling, presumption of guilt or guilt by association, insensitivity, or picking fights) and Remarks advocating illegal or violent actions.

Pterocarya frax...

My hat is off to all the law enforcement for taking him alive.

Now we can torture him and find out all about his gang.

ladydye_5

Our awesome commander in chief banned torture. Never mind the fact he is a muslim (which our chief seems to sympathize with). There will be NO torture, nothing will be done. Hopefully he will find himself in general population and nature will take its course. (many "hard core" criminals do not take kindly to killing women and children)

shucks

: |

grandmasgirl

Are you kidding me? If you so much as cut his fingernails, the ACLU will be all over it. You won't be getting any info out of him. The good ole USA have given him everything in life and he has chosen to throw it back in our face.

your master

Thank you President Obama for your selfless leadership and courage during this trying time. You didn't let America down like that coward before you.

The Big Dog's back

Agreed.

goofus

Hey Porch Puppy, Mooochelle wants to know what hospital to visit this suspect like the ringleader.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/...

thinkagain

If Obama had a son...

Huron_1969

Proud of our Law Enforcment and fellow citizens. Obama gets zero credit for bringing this to closure.

tell it how it is

thank you. Wasn't really sure how the above comment could give Obozo credit for this? He did nothing but sit in his pampered life, cry about his bill failing, and listen to reports of what was going on.

shucks

jerks

deertracker

@ Huron:
Agreed!

The Big Dog's back

I'm glad those union thugs, Boston P. D., got him.

shucks

excellent, Dog

looking around

Tell em Dog!

looking around

Obama did exactly what any President should under these circumstances, he offered sympathy for those attacked, he let it be known that America will seek out who did this and have justice. He authorized any and all federal and military aid in abducting the perpetrators hopefully capture alive to determine if more are involved and if other attacks are planned. Finding out as much as possible from the one remaining fugitive is the only way to find absolute closure. Be certain this person and possibly others will pay dearly for their crimes as did Bin Laden! Justice will be served. No other President could have done anything better or would have done anything differently. What did the nay sayers here do besides sit on their duffs in front of the TV and eat popcorn? Congratulations to all that were party to this manhunt....job well done!

bondgirlM

Why doesn't your illustrious leader spend as much effort in regards to Benghazi. This was actually the 3rd terrorist attack on American's since Obama became president. Bush was president for a mere 8 months when attacked by terrorists and he didn't let them get away with it. Obama just looks the other way.

looking around

As I remember it was Bush who saw to it Bin Ladens family was flown out of the country to safe haven when all other aircraft were grounded after 9/11

S w Rand 2016

We have reports that Obama is sending a Saudi national home as well, don't we?

A senior law enforcement official with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) told TheBlaze Thursday that reports claiming the department was deporting Alharbi under section 212 3B (“security and related grounds”) and had opened an “event” (or file) on the Saudi Arabian national following the Boston attacks is “categorically false.”
Documents presented to Congress, however, were subsequently reported by TheBlaze to have confirmed that plans were made to revoke the visa of Alharbi.
The congressional source told TheBlaze it was unclear as to why representatives from Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) would be unaware of the plans for visa revocation.
The Saudi news report is plausible given that the first lady along with President Obama visited victims of the Boston bombings at several different area hospitals Thursday afternoon.
The visits were closed to the media and scheduled with little advance notice due to security reasons.

Visa revocation, in this case, is code for "letting them out of the country."

Even if this report were inaccurate, there is still precious little to distinguish between Bush and Obama in regards to Foreign Policy and related matters. They both spend big on wars and they both sign away our rights in the interest of fighting the War on Terror. We knew all of this back in 2011, tho. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/2...

deertracker

@ your master
Agreed!

Curley

Thank God justice will be finally done. My heart goes out to the family of the 8 year old boy. I have a grandson who is that age and it brought me to tears.

Mime Bloggling's picture
Mime Bloggling

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev voted for Obama after he was naturalized on Sept. 11th, 2012.

Glad he's been captured alive so we can learn about his connections. Hope he has a speedy trial and a speedier execution.

The Big Dog's back

How do you know he voted for Obama? Are you friends with him? Something you're not telling us?

Kelly

It's been all over the news that he campaigned for him

The Big Dog's back

All over right wingnut "news".

Kelly

What?

shucks

You listen to Rush, don't cha Kelly?

Pages