Burglary how-to video lands Norwalk teen in trouble again

By HEATHER CHAPIN-FOWLER hrcfowler@aol.com NORWALK A Norwalk teenager who is accused of posted "disturbing" content of a burglary on his MySpace page is being held in a detention facility.
Sandusky Register Staff
May 15, 2010

 

By HEATHER CHAPIN-FOWLER

hrcfowler@aol.com

NORWALK

A Norwalk teenager who is accused of posted "disturbing" content of a burglary on his MySpace page is being held in a detention facility.

The 17-year-old Milan Avenue resident posted on March 21 a video titled "how easy it is to break in to a place with people home," according to the posting.

"i just walk right in to some ones place with them home sleeping at 3 am in the morning," the post stated.

The video shows four minutes and 17 seconds of shaky video footage of a house in the middle of the night with a male's voice whispering into the camera. The videographer appears to break into the home's garage, according to the footage and Norwalk police Chief David Light.

A resident called the Erie County Sheriff's office to report the post and video, Light said.

The sheriff's office passed the information on to the Norwalk Police Department, where detectives reviewed the website contents.

"(The detectives) were greatly concerned over what they saw," said Light, who called the posts "disturbing."

The detectives recognized the footage in the video and started pursuing an investigation, but ran into a jurisdictional problem as it appeared the footage was taken outside city limits.

"It's a major concern of ours, but we had to turn it over to the (Huron County) Sheriff's office," Light said.

The teen also wrote in his blog about a fatal shooting of an 85-year-old man.

"...I raise my hand with the gun and I point it at the old man and say I'm sorry but the darkness is calling for you and I fire the gun blood splattered on my face death says you made a good choice then I realized what I have just done and I regret it wiping the blood off my face and see his blood on my hands...," the post dated April 19 stated.

"If there's a crime there, we'll investigate it fully," said Huron County Sheriff Dane Howard.

Details of the ongoing investigation aren't being disclosed until the matter is complete, said juvenile prosecutor Jennifer DeLand.

The teen was turned over last week to a detention facility on two unrelated charges filed in the Huron County Juvenile Court, said spokeswoman Melissa Hipp.

The teen is accused of shooting a boy with a BB gun in the shoulder while demanding the boy give the teen his bicycle during a May 6 incident, Hipp said.

A second 16-year-old Milan Avenue boy was also charged in that incident.

Two juvenile delinquency charges of robbery were filed against both teens and they are scheduled for trials on June 21, Hipp said.