Many ideas have been floated at the Jobs Summit, including the training of people for jobs that don't exist. The plain fact is that we can't go on forever by processing information, running shopping centers and selling services. Someone somewhere must produce something. And that is the flaw in the global economy. It's a fatal flaw. The outsourcing model has failed. Despite the propagandists and deniers, the outsourcing model has failed and the sooner we realize that, the better off we will be.
To stop the increase in unemployment we need to rebuild America's manufacturing base. We can't depend on someone getting one of the few green jobs that might be "created." We can't depend on false government jobs everyone has to pay for. And we can't compete with dollar-an-hour jobs in China.
What we need is good old-fashioned protectionism, the kind that built America. We need to hit China and Mexico with staggering tariffs -- tariffs high enough to encourage United States manufacturers to start up the factories again. We need thousands of jobs, and manufacturing can provide them. If we risk export business, you should know that exports represent only 13 percent of the economy. Now is the time to take care of the other 87 percent.
Write or call your senators and representatives and tell them you want protectionism and you want a job.
Carl R. Goodwin