The Fire Marshal did, however, rule out the fire being started by a wood burner or propane heating system. Possibilities remaining include space heaters, which were placed throughout the 100-plus-year-old home, and smoking. There were battery operated smoke detectors in the home but it's unclear if they were operational.
"While the exact cause is undetermined, no evidence of any criminal act was found," said a statement from the Fire Marshal issued Friday afternoon.
Firefighters responded to the home at 13843 E. Township Road 124 in Reed Township at about 3:15 a.m. Tuesday after a trucker driving by the home saw it in flames. When firefighters arrived the house was fully engulfed.