Sandusky baby's death investigated

SANDUSKY Police are investigating the March death of a 7-week-old boy. Matthew Bain,
Sandusky Register Staff
May 24, 2010



Police are investigating the March death of a 7-week-old boy.

Matthew Bain, 25, found his son, Logan, unresponsive at 7:07 p.m. March 30 at their Camp Street home and called for an ambulance. The baby was taken to Firelands Regional Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead.

Erie County coroner Brian Baxter said he treated Logan as a patient and at first believed the child died from complications from gastroschisis, a condition in which the bowels are located outside the body. But an autopsy performed by the Lucas County coroner spurred an investigation into the boy's death, Baxter said, declining to elaborate on what caused alarm.

"We got some information from the autopsy that we had to deal with," he said. "If I ask for an investigation, I have suspicion there could have been a problem."

Baxter described the boy's parents as loving.

"They are both nice kids. A nice family," he said. "I was shocked. I was shocked. It could be complications to the disease, but we have suspicions we have to follow through on. That's sad. That's sad. It's ... one of the things I do not enjoy doing at all."

Police are awaiting Baxter's ruling on the cause of death, Sandusky Det. Sgt. John Orzech. Baxter said police are handling the investigative portion of the case.

"The initial information was it was probably due to a medical condition, but we don't have anything back to prove or disprove that," Orzech said.

Logan was born with gastroschisis and underwent surgery at University Hospitals Rainbow Babies & Children's Hospital to correct the problem. The family spent a month at the Ronald McDonald House in Cleveland during his recovery, Matthew Bain said.

Logan became ill shortly before his death, he said.

"We were so ecstatic to become parents," Matthew Bain said during a brief interview Tuesday. He said he knew nothing about the investigation, saying he preferred to remain "in the dark."

Orzech said when police responded to the emergency call, they did not notice any outward signs of physical trauma on the baby's body.

Sandusky police and Baxter are awaiting a toxicology report and results of other tests before going forward on the case.