Two jailed after Huron County car chase

WAKEMAN Two men were booked Thursday in the Huron County jail after leading police and a sheriff's d
Sandusky Register Staff
May 24, 2010



Two men were booked Thursday in the Huron County jail after leading police and a sheriff's deputy on a 25-minute car chase Wednesday night over dark rural roads.

The driver, Charles P. Ring, 39, Collins, is accused of ramming and sideswiping a Huron County Sheriff's cruiser in his attempt to evade officials. He was charged with fleeing and eluding, vandalism and operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated, according to jail records.

His passenger, Brett L. Weirich, 24, also of Collins, was charged with failure to comply and disorderly conduct.

"We're just fortunate no one was seriously injured," said Capt. Ted Patrick of the Huron County Sheriff's office.

The chase began at 8:45 p.m. after Wakeman police got a tip that a drunken driver was pumping gas at a Sunoco station. The officer watched Ring drive his Oldsmobile Intrigue out of the station onto U.S. 20 and veer left of center.

A Wakeman police officer first attempted to pull over Ring, then called the Huron County Sheriff's office for assistance.

Ring drove through several yards and headed south on Hartland Center Road, where he intentionally slammed into the side of the sheriff's cruiser, according to a news release.

Patrick said the cruiser sustained moderate damage.

The pursuit continued west on Collins Road, then north onto West Collins Road and onto Wells Road. Ring reached speeds of 80 mph during the chase, Wakeman police Chief Tim Hunker said. Ring still managed to stop at stop signs and even used his signals when making turns, Hunker said.

He eventually drove his car into a field on Wells Road in Townsend Township, where he and Weirich fled on foot.

Deputy Todd Corbin arrested Ring after a short chase.

Police, sheriff's deputies and a Norwalk police dog searched a wooded area for 40 minutes before locating Weirich.

Ring is being held on $25,000 bond.

Wierich is being held on $5,000 bond. Both are scheduled to appear March 2 in Norwalk Municipal Court.