House damaged, no one injured, dog OK

PERKINS TWP. A plugged-in hair dryer may have contributed to a fire that caused extensive damage to
susanmcmillan
May 24, 2010

 

PERKINS TWP.

A plugged-in hair dryer may have contributed to a fire that caused extensive damage to a Hinde Avenue home Friday afternoon.

Perkins and Sandusky firefighters responded after a neighbor reported the fire at about 2 p.m. Friday. The occupants were away from home, and no one was hurt.

Perkins fire Chief Rick Myosky said firefighters were able to contain the blaze in the first-floor bathroom of the two-story house at 2818 Hinde Ave.

"It was one room and contents in the fire, but there was quite a bit of heat and smoke damage throughout the entire structure," he said.

Darrel Goff, who lives two houses away, said he smelled smoke when he arrived home from work.

"I ran over here," he said. "I looked and I could see the whole top of the house was all engulfed in smoke."

Alice Willis, who lives in the home with her husband, daughter and three grandchildren, said she was out of the house shuttling around family members. She picked up the two teenage boys from school and dropped her young granddaughter off at preschool and her daughter at BGSU Firelands.

Only the family dog, a Chihuahua, was in the house. Firefighters carried the dog out in her crate.

"They had to give her oxygen, but she's OK," Willis said.

Perkins Fire Marshal Gary Guendelsberger said the daughter told firefighters she had been using a hair dryer in the first-floor bathroom just before leaving the house. When she set it down on the floor, it was off but still hot, she said.

"The fire appears to have occurred in close proximity to where that hair dryer would have been," he said.

Guendelsberger said the bathroom was gutted, and there was some fire damage to a closet door across the hall. The rest of the home suffered smoke damage.

He said he had no dollar estimate for the damage.

Willis said the family has insurance to cover the home and replacement costs for the contents.

"But who knows how many pairs of pants you got, you know?" she said.

Goff said the house next to the Willises' burned in February.

"Now both of them in a row here caught fire," he said. "It's not too good for the neighborhood."