Keno is coming to Ohio next month — and you can bet there will be a business near you offering it.
A list released by the Ohio Lottery Commission shows 21 businesses in Erie County have signed up to offer keno, which becomes available Aug. 4.
It’s an offering well-suited to the Sandusky area, said Don Metelsky, sales director for the Ohio Lottery.
“Now the folks who are coming in from out of state, they have the opportunity to play a really unique lottery game,” he said. “It just adds to their entertainment experience up on Ohio’s north coast.”
In addition, seven Huron County locations and eight Ottawa County businesses have signed up to offer keno.
Keno resembles the lottery but has the advantage of almost instant gratification. People sitting in a bar can use the game as a way to pass the time.
The Ohio Lottery Commission, which is offering the game, explains the lottery will select 20 numbers from 1 to 80. Players can select up to 10 spots. Players can win various prizes by matching their numbers to numbers selected by the lottery. For example, a $1 wager that matches 10 of the 20 numbers will win $100,000.
The first drawing will take place at 11:04 a.m., with drawings every four minutes until 1:44 a.m.
One of the Sandusky businesses offering keno is the Old Dutch Tavern.
“When you are sitting there having a beer, why not spend a dollar or two on a keno game?” asks owner Larry Gerold.
The game is being offered in businesses that have a Class D liquor license for on-premises consumption. Most of the places offering keno are bars, but the game also is being offered in fraternal organizations, veterans halls, restaurants and bowling alleys.
“Bowlers are big lottery players. We’re really excited about having them on board,” Metelsky said.
Adding keno to Cedar Downs adds one more entertainment option to a complex that already has bowling, a waterpark, a restaurant and other offerings, said Mike Sortino, director of operations for the Sortino Company.
Those entertainment choices include Ohio’s only off-track betting facility, so “the keno lends itself well to our current customers,” he said.
So far, 1,020 applicants statewide are in various stages of approval to offer the game.
Keno is expected to generate profits of $73 million through June 30, 2009, the end of the current fiscal year.
“All of our profits go to education,” Metelsky noted.
Erie County locations offering Keno
1. Cedar Downs, 1935 Cleveland Road, Sandusky.
2. Piccolos Wine Shop, 1212 E. Hull Road, Sandusky.
3. Fireside Lounge, 1640 Milan Road, Sandusky.
4. D.J’s Sports Bar, 1643 Cleveland Road, Sandusky.
5. Med’s 800 Club, 1210 Sycamore Line Road, Sandusky.
6. Cold Creek Pub, 113 Main St., Castalia.
7. Knucklehead Saloon, 2012 Cleveland Road West, Unit A, Huron.
8. Riverview Lanes, 125 N. Main St., Huron.
9. Old Dutch Tavern, 2219 E. Perkins Ave., Sandusky.
10. Oliver’s Pub and Grill, 5 Lake St., Berlin Heights.
11. Fraternal Order of the Orioles, 1814 Milan Road, Sandusky.
12. Brutus’ Sports Pub and Grill, 4115 Boos Road, Huron.
13. Terry’s Tavern, 1001 E. Bayview Dr., Sandusky.
14. Yesteryears Restaurant, 129 W. Market St., Sandusky.
15. Red Clay on the River, 5150 Liberty Ave., Vermilion.
16. Vermilion Country Club, 12210 West Lake Road, Vermilion.
17. Cameo Pizza, 702 W. Monroe St., Sandusky.
18. Johnny Malloys, 4835 Liberty Ave., Vermilion.
19. Clinkers, 1615 1st St., Sandusky.
20. Cheers Sports Bar and Grill, 4314 Milan Road, Sandusky.
21. Bar 101, 117 Main St., Castalia.
Ottawa County locations offering Keno
1. Wee Willy’s Sports Bar, 302 W. Main St., Marblehead.
2. Beer Barrel Saloon, 324 Delaware Ave., Put-in-Bay.
3. Traveler’s Bar and Grill, 17 Monroe, Port Clinton.
4. Skip and Barb’s Place, 131 W. Water St., Oak Harbor.
5. Cleats Port Clinton, 4046 E. Harbor Road, Port Clinton.
6. Anchor Inn, 8956 W. Ohio 163, Oak Harbor.
7. Tippers, 324 Delaware Ave., Put-in-Bay.
8. P.C. Lodge 1610 Loyal Order of the Moose, 1105 W. Lakeshore Dr., Port Clinton.
Huron County locations offering Keno
1. American Slovak Club, 2915 Broadway, Lorain.
2. 224 Varsity Club, 3598 Bullhead Road, Willard.
3. Crossroads Tavern, 6328 U.S. 20, Wakeman.
4. Hunters Brew, 27 Main St., Greenwich.
5. C. Mulligans Pub, 6450 Pitts Blvd., North Ridgeville.
6. LaPorte Inn, 2092 Grafton Road, Elyria.
7. Norwalk Eagles 711, 151 Cline St., Norwalk.