Trash can inside SHS catches fire

SANDUSKY Smokin' in the boys room. The '70s tune was brought to life Monday at Sandusky High S
Sandusky Register Staff
May 24, 2010

 

SANDUSKY

Smokin' in the boys room.  The '70s tune was brought to life Monday at Sandusky High School when a trash can in the second floor boys' restroom caught fire.

"At that point when I got up there, there was some smoke coming out of the restroom. I knew that if it was a wastebasket I wouldn't be able to get any water onto it in there,"Principal Dan Poggiali said.

Poggiali moved the trash can to a nearby janitor's closet, where he put the fire out while the fire department was on its way.

Students were evacuated from the building for about 10 minutes and were then sent to the cafeteria where there was no smoke.

"They were probably out of their classrooms for about 50 minutes total. We do have a lot of kids with asthma problems, and we wanted to make sure we didn't give them any difficulties," Poggiali said.

Sandusky fire Capt. Jim Green said the fire department ventilated the building, and there was no fire or smoke damage except to the trash can. One student was taken to Firelands Regional Medical Center for breathing problems.

Green said it appeared the fire was started by a paper towel that was lit and thrown in the trash can.

As of Monday evening, the high school's resource officer was looking through videotape to determine who set the fire. Poggiali said they suspect one individual who is a student.