A pet cat was killed in a blaze that destroyed much of a Milan Township home Tuesday afternoon.
The fire at 13602 River Road was reported by Milan Water Department employees just after 2 p.m., according to Milan Township Assistant Fire Chief Jim Jesberger.
No one was home when the fire began.
Jesberger was the first to arrive, immediately calling for mutual aid from Berlin Township, Huron and Milan because the house was fully involved in flames.
About 75 percent of the home was directly damaged by flames, and all of the home suffered smoke damage, he said.
More of the house would have been damaged if the wind had been blowing in the opposite direction, he said. The wind blew the flames away from the house as the fire progressed from its starting point at the rear eastern portion of the house.
A propane tank and several rounds of ammunition exploded in the garage, Jesberger said.
Firefighters pulled four rifles and a rifle case from the garage once the fire was extinguished.
"The men did a good job especially considering the high winds and having to truck water to the site," Jesberger said.
No further information was available Tuesday evening.