Man charged with murder may get house arrest privileges

SANDUSKY The man accused of murdering his neighbor July 7 after an argument has had his bond set at $100,000. The
Sandusky Register Staff
May 24, 2010



The man accused of murdering his neighbor July 7 after an argument has had his bond set at $100,000.

The conditions of the Grant Avenue man's bond were detailed Friday in Sandusky Municipal Court.

Andrew D. Johnson, 59, 3613 Grant Ave., was charged with murder, attempted murder and felonious assault for allegedly shooting his next-door neighbor, Gerald B. Gilliam.

Despite the seriousness of his charges, Johnson was seen moments before the hearing began smiling and laughing with officers in the courtroom.

Johnson's bond was set at $100,000 by recommendation of the prosecutor's office with a 10 percent cash bond ordered by the court. Once paid, Johnson could be under house arrest at his sister's home as early as Monday, said Judge Erich O'Brien. Johnson will also be required to wear an ankle bracelet.

By waiving his preliminary hearing Friday, Johnson gave up the right to have an attorney show probable cause the crime was committed and probable cause of who committed it.

His case will now be turned over to Erie County Common Pleas Court and the next grand jury. Last week Johnson pleaded not guilty to his charges.

A Perkins Police officer who was the first at the scene that Saturday night found Gilliam, 39, lying in the yard with a gunshot wound to his midsection. The officer was directed by Gilliam's wife, Sandy, to Johnson's home next door. There, the officer said he found Johnson still holding a .38-caliber pistol in his right hand.

Gilliam was taken to Firelands Regional Medical Center, where he died a few hours later. He was buried this week in Oakland Cemetery during a private funeral service.

Police continue to investigate the circumstances surrounding Gilliam's death.

Perkins police Chief Tim McClung has said alcohol is a likely factor in the shooting. Racial slurs might have been exchanged between the two men, although not necessarily directed at one another, he said.

A police report on the incident is still being completed, McClung said, adding that several witnesses still need to be interviewed.