Four transported to hospital after blaze

SANDUSKY Four people were transported to the hospital Tuesday after a cooking fire broke out in an apartment complex
Sandusky Register Staff
May 24, 2010

 

SANDUSKY

Four people were transported to the hospital Tuesday after a cooking fire broke out in an apartment complex on the corner of E. Washington and Warren streets.  

Sandusky firefighters responded to the call at about 3:45 p.m. to the downtown complex after a cooking fire went out of control on the first floor of the 12-unit complex.

Tenant Geraldine McLendon was cooking french fries and left the stove unattended, according to Sandusky Fire Chief Mike Meinzer.

McLendon escaped and smoke traveled upstairs, Meinzer said.

Some of her neighbors escaped through windows or doorways as firefighters arrived.