50 years ago, 1957: The Hinde & Dauch Paper co., presented a gift of 3 1/2 acres of land in the city of Sandusky to the Sandusky YMCA. Although the "Y" had no immediate plans for its use, it was a welcome addition to the resources of the local youth organization.
25 years ago, 1982: The $1.9 million expansion of St. Mary's Central Catholic High School was formally dedicated before a cheering crowd of more than 650 students, teachers and friends from the community. The dedication ceremony officially brought to an end more than two years of planning, fund-raising and construction.
10 years ago, 1997: State and local officials discussed how lakeshore communities could respond to the threat of flooding, at an information sharing session at Camp Perry. The session was called because Lake Erie was two feet higher than at that time the previous year and might have exceeded levels in the following months. Throughout the session, state and local officials stressed the need for Ottawa and Erie county residents to be aware of the threat of flooding, but not to panic.