Electrical fire guts log home near New London

(UPDATED WITH 911 AUDIO) A 52-year-old Townsend Township man credits his 12-year-old daughter for making him put batteries in his smoke detector after the alarm alerted him to a quickly spreading fire.
Emil Whitis
Dec 21, 2011

(UPDATED WITH 911 AUDIO) A 52-year-old Townsend Township man credits his 12-year-old daughter for making him put batteries in his smoke detector after the alarm alerted him to a quickly spreading fire.

Rory Schwab said the fire alarm woke him at 3 a.m. Monday as smoke spread through his 1,900-square-foot log cabin in the 500 block of Derussey Road near New London.

Schwab went to his living room where he found his Christmas tree and a chair on fire. He attempted to beat back the blaze, but he became overwhelmed by the smoke. Schwab grabbed his cat and escaped the house through a window. He and the cat were the only ones home.

Firefighters responded from Townsend Township, Wakeman and New London, but the fire quickly spread throughout the home.

In addition to the house, Schwab said he lost Christmas presents for his children, his truck and a lawn mower. He's grateful, however, that his daughter insisted he put batteries in his smoke detector just a week or two ago.

Authorities say the fire was likely electrical. There is not yet a cost estimate on the damage.

Read about how Schwab plans to move forward in Wednesday's Register.

Comments

DiamondGirl

HMMMM ?  " Your dream house"   Thats odd . He put the house back up for sale less than 4 months after he purchased it over 5 years ago.  He has been attempting to unload this home for a very long time.  Sound kind of fishy to me .. Just saying ? 

twiz

To the Schwab family... I'm so very sorry for your loss... especially this time of the year. I'm glad that you and your feline made it out safely, and that no one was injured

@DiamondGirl... So you are saying because he tried to sell the house in the past or has tried selling it multiple times this implicates him in this house fire? I'd say you're reaching on that one. Come on...  So if he mentioned he was craving Taco's and all of a sudden the Taco Bell was robbed, would that be his fault to...  Have some freakin' compassion... you're comment is a theory at this point, and a smart @$$'ed one at that.

the U

I'm with twiz there are tons of houses out there for sale and if one of them has an electrical fire then according to DiamondGirl it has to be the person trying to sell it that is responsible. give me a break! This was a freak electrical fire plain and simple. You cant throw out alligations just because the house was for sale. sorry DiamondGirl your theory is ridiculous! and the fact you show no compassion makes me sick!

Woody Hayes

Diamond Girl:

Are you any relation to Juliebeth, the tin foil hat wacko? Just wondering. 

44846GWP

Diamond girl, Go back to watching HSN.