Leave Feedback

Victim details attack

Courtney Astolfi • Jun 20, 2014 at 12:00 PM


Brian Jury's alleged rape and kidnapping victim took the witness stand Thursday, telling jurors of the horrors she experienced Nov. 1 at his Strecker Road property.

Jury, 39, allegedly held the woman at gunpoint last fall and raped her repeatedly inside a camper. She later escaped, still naked, bound and gagged, and an armed Jury was arrested a few hours later, police said.

Click HERE for related stories

On Thursday, the third day of Jury's trial, the woman he allegedly victimized testified about her recollections of Nov. 1 and how she came to meet Jury more than one year prior.

The woman met Jury through a friend during the summer of 2012, and soon exchanged either texts or phone calls with him regarding some rental properties, according to her testimony.

But the woman told jurors she knew Jury by a different name during that period—she knew him only as Greg, the woman said.

Jury showed her a property in Lorain soon after, but the woman chose not to move in. The pair communicated intermittently in the following months and she again spoke to him about a home in late October 2013, the woman said.

On Nov. 1, the woman had plans to meet with Jury to view another property. As she was walking to meet him at a store in Lorain, Jury instead passed her in his vehicle and offered to give her a ride, the woman said.

It was then Jury allegedly drove past the store, past the rental property and continued on to Erie County.

"I tried to get out the door but I couldn't get out," the woman told jurors Thursday. "He had a gun and he told me not to move."

They soon arrived at Jury's camper on Strecker Road.

"He was telling me not to try anything or else he'd shoot me," the woman said.

Erie County prosecutor Kevin Baxter then asked the alleged victim to detail the events as they unfolded.

In a subdued, tearful tone, the woman described the alleged rape. Jury raped her five times, the woman said, and, holding her at knife and gun point, she was forced to stare at him throughout.

"He made me watch him the whole time," she said.

After, Jury left the property. The woman recalled waiting to see if he'd return, then making a crucial decision about 15 minutes later.

"It's either me getting out of here or else I'm dead," she said.

The woman moved a suitcase aside with her head and pushed her way through the camper door.

After a passing driver and off-duty deputy came to the woman's aid, she was treated at a hospital.

The zip ties Jury allegedly used to bind the woman's wrist had injured her right hand so severely, she still has no feeling in it at all, the woman said.

Once Baxter concluded his line of questioning, Jury's attorney, Jack Bradley, had the opportunity to cross-examine her.

Bradley asked the woman about drug use, prompting her to tell the jury about using heroin the day before Jury allegedly kidnapped her.

Bradley also grilled the woman on her communications with Jury between the summer of 2012 and October 2013.

He produced phone records that seemingly showed multiple communications between her and Jury during that period. However, the woman said she often allowed the friend who introduced her to Jury to use her phone and attributed those calls to the friend.

Bradley went on to ask why Jury had the alleged victim listed by a different name in his phone—a question to which the woman did not know the answer.

Baxter later objected to a question about the woman's criminal past, prompting Erie County Common Pleas Court Judge Roger Binette to end proceedings for the day due to time constraints.

The trial will resume again today at 8:30 a.m.  with Bradley's cross-examination. 

Recommended for You