Leave Feedback

Police snuff man's hotel ruckus

Register • Jun 14, 2014 at 12:00 PM

A Dayton-area man sent Bayshore Resort into a state of panic last weekend after deploying a fire extinguisher in a hallway, prompting many guests to believe the hotel was on fire.

At about 5:50 p.m. June 7, JacobĀ Champerlain, 29, of Franklin, sprayed the fire extinguisher's contents in his third floor room's bathroom and the nearby hallway, according to a Put-in-Bay police report.

After hearing the extinguisher, many fearful guests then called the hotel's main desk and reported a fire.

When hotel staff members searched Champerlain's room, he was nowhere to be found, according to the report.

At about 9:15 p.m., Champerlain returned to the hotel, in the 300 block of Toledo Ave., and staff members called Put-in-Bay police. They reviewed surveillance video footage and determined Champerlain deployed the extinguisher earlier that night.

They charged Champerlain with inducing panic, and Bayshore Resort staff evicted him and his roommates from the hotel.

When asked about the incident, ChamperlainĀ said he was "trying to put out a lit cigarette," but police couldn't find any cigarettes in his room, according to the report.

Recommended for You