Leave Feedback

Day 7: Prosecutor calls 11 witnesses

Register • Jun 10, 2014 at 6:30 AM

Updated 4:26 p.m.— It appears the grand jury is done for the day.

Update 4:15 p.m. — Eric Burdine is off the stand.

Update 4:04 p.m.— An unidentified male who was an inmate at the jail that night, has left the stand. Eric Burdine, Craig Burdine's brother, has retaken the stand. He is 11th witness of the day.

Update 3:55 p.m. — The last witness, an unidentified man, in the hallway has taken the stand.

Update 3:34 p.m. — Tina Tack- Anderson has left the stand. A dispatcher the night Craig Burdine died Anderson declined to discuss what she may have testified to.

Update 2:59 p.m. — The eighth witness has left the stand. The ninth witness, a woman, has walked into the courtroom.

Update 2:50 p.m. — The last witness, Juan Levario, has left the stand. He lived next door to where the altercation occurred and testified to what he saw when police arrived.

Update 2:37 p.m. — The seventh witness has taken the stand after jury members reconvened after taking a break.

Update 1:50 p.m. — The last witness is off the stand.

Update 12:45 p.m. — A silver haired man in a dark suit is the sixth witness to take the stand. He had a slim file folder in his hand.

Update 12:40 p.m. — The fifth witness is off the stand. He had no comment to questions by a Sandusky Register reporter as he hopped into the passenger seat of a four door silver sedan driven by a BCI Agent.

Update 11:51 a.m. — The fourth witness is off the stand and a fifth, escorted by a BCI special agent has just taken the stand.This mystery fifth witness was brought in at 11:33 a.m.

Update 11:35 a.m. — The third witness is off the stand and a fourth witness has gone in. Robert Collins lived in the home on Sycamore Street where the fight ocurred.

Update 11:14 a.m. — The second witness is off the stand. The third witness has gone into the courtroom.

Update 11:04 a.m. — The second witness has taken the stand.

Update 10:55 a.m. — The first witness is off the stand after about half an hour of testimony. Grand jury members have taken a break.

Update: 10:09 a.m. — Witnesses continue to collect in the hallway of the Sandusky County Common Pleas court.  The first witness who is waiting arrived about 9:14 a.m.. They have been arriving sporadically but now all are waiting to be called in to testify. Most appear to have been on Sycamore St. or in the jail the night Craig Burdine died.

Update 9:01 a.m.— It appears the final jurors have arrived. Proceedings should begin soon.

Update: 8:38 a.m. — Attorney General prosecutor Matt Donahue has just arrived. Jury members are filing into the courtroom where they will here proceedings for the day.

June 8, 2014, original post: 

Headline: DeWine's grand jury returns today 

— Prosecutor gives family no confidence in hearings; they want witnesses called 

The grand jury hearing evidence in the 2007 jailhouse death of Craig Burdine is expected to return Monday for the seventh day of testimony in five weeks. 

Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine has refused any comment on the investigation, which he began in August, the grand jury proceedings or the criticism he's received about how he's handled those tasks. 

DeWine's lead prosecutor, Matt Donahue, has at times been openly hostile to them, Burdine family members said, and other times he's been dismissive or wasn't paying attention to the testimony being given. He's given them little guidance during the hearings, said Craig Burdine's father, Jess Burdine,  and Donahue isn't presenting all the evidence. 

"If he's not representing Craig's family then who is he representing?" said Jess, 80. "If he's not defending Craig, who is he defending?"

Donahue also has refused comment and refused to respond to written inquiries from the Register about the issues the family has raised. 

Day 6: Where everybody knows your name

Jess Burdine told the Register previously DeWine and his office would become part of the cover-up of homicide by the Sandusky County sheriff's office and Fremont police if he failed to follow through and bring the evidence and witnesses in front of the grand jury. DeWine has not responded to the statement.

Local officials never addressed the Burdines questions, or conducted an investigation after Craig Burdine died in the jail on Aug. 11, 2007, or responded to written inquiries about those questions concerning evidence the Burdines brought forward. 

Click here to read related articles, see video

Recommended for You