Leave Feedback

Day 3: Jess Burdine asks grand jury to hear evidence

Melissa Topey • Jun 2, 2014 at 6:11 AM

4:35 p.m.— The last witness has left. Donahue is in with the grand jury which should be ending for the day soon.

4:16 p.m.— A unidentified male who was at the jail took the stand and was done after a couple minutes.

4:08 p.m. — Chief Tim Wiersma is off the stand after about 25 minutes of testimony. Wiersma, who was not the chief at the time, had the responsibilty of meeting Jess Burdine at the hospital and notifying him of his son's death.

A man who was in the jail took the stand after Wiersma and was back out about 4 minutes later.

3:30 p.m. — Activists have arrived to stand outside of the courthouse.

Witnesses remaining in the hallway are Fremont Police Chief Tim Wiersma, an inmate who was at the jail that morning and a man who was at the party on Sycamore Street that Burdine was involved in a fight, suffering serious burns.

3:15 p.m. — Activists, who posted on the Register website that they were to be at the courthouse at 3 p.m., have yet to apper.

3:11 p.m. — That last witness has already left the courtroom. Donahue has called in a middle aged woman.

3:07 p.m. — That man has left the courthouse and a young man has gone in.

2:48 p.m. — Another witness has left the stand. The older professionally dressed man declined to answer questions from the Register. Another man has gone into the courtroom.

2:17 p.m. — Jurors have come back from their break.

1:50 p.m.— Donahue is making quick work of witnesses as two more have tesitfied. Magrum declined to answer questions when he was leaving the courthouse. Some jurors hae stepped out for a break.

1:09 p.m. —  Two witness have come and gone after testifying to the grand jury. The first witness, a man, was on the stand about 45 minutes. That man refused to answer questions from the Register before jumping into a large red pickup truck and leaving the courthouse The second, an unidentified woman, testified for about 15 minutes. On the stand now is Chad Magrum, an Sandusky County EMS worker.

11:55 a.m. — Jess Burdine told the Register this morning he feels good he has presented his case in front of a grand jury after waitng more than six years to be heard. He said he asked for charges to be brought against everyone who was involved in his son's death, ranging from purjury against all to second degree murder against some.

A crew from WTOL-TV News Channel 11 arrived late this morning and is currently outside the courthouse.

A post at sanduskyregister.com stated family members and supporters, and the group monitoring the grand jury hearings that stayed through the first two days of hearings, would be back at the courthouse at 3 p.m. today.  

11:25 a.m. — The next witness, who appears to be law enforcment has taken the stand. A female juror member has asked to be excused for the day as her father had been taken to the hospital. After making a phone call the femail juror remained on the jury.

11:16 a.m. — Jess Burdine is done testifying. Juror members have taken a break before next witness is called.

10:58 a.m. — There are five witnesses, including members of law enforcement and the Sandusky County EMS, waiting while Jess  Burdine continues to testify to the grand jury about the death of his son, Craig Burdine. 

8:54 a.m. — Attorney General prosecutor Matt Donahue has called Jess Burdine back to the stand to resume his testimony

8:30 a.m. — The grand jurors arrived at the Sandusky County Common Pleas courthouse and ken thier seats in courtroom 3.

Jess Burdine is to be the first witness back on the stand to resume his testimony. He should be called in to take the stand at 8:45 a.m.

Rain appears to have kept the dedicated group of activists away this morning.

Read related articles here

Recommended for You