Leave Feedback

Chief's son gets payout

Andy Ouriel • May 11, 2014 at 8:50 AM

A former part-time Sandusky police officer fired after being accused of driving drunk received a $25,000 going-away present from the city.

The saga of Ross Glovinsky versus Sandusky ended in early April, when officials negotiated a price to pay off Glovinsky and avoid lawsuit.

Officials did not announce or discuss the settlement. Details about it were made available when the Register sought an update on the dispute last week. 

Here’s a summary of related events:

January 2011: Glovinsky was involved in a two-vehicle crash in Lorain County, according to Ohio State Highway Patrol records. Court records show Glovinsky was originally charged with operating a vehicle under the influence, but the charge was later reduced to reckless operation.

A Highway Patrol trooper failed to administer a breathalyzer test on Glovinsky at the scene, and the trooper also didn’t obtain blood or urine samples from Glovinsky after he was taken to the hospital, a standard procedure when a driver is suspected of drunken driving incident after an accident.

Glovinsky allegedly left the scene, but the other driver followed him and blocked his vehicle in after Glovinsky pulled into a driveway in a residential neighborhood. 

Glovinsky was a part-time Perkins police officer at the time of the accident.

March 2011: Glovinsky pleaded no contest in Oberlin Municipal Court to reckless operation. He received a 10-day jail sentence, which was suspended, and a judge ordered him to pay about $580 in fines and court fees.

The judge also suspended Glovinsky's driver's license for a year, but granted him work privileges to drive, according to court documents.

Spring/summer 2011: Former interim Sandusky police chief Charlie Sams arranged to hire Glovinsky as part-time Sandusky police officer at $12 per hour. Sams was aware of the arrest and also knew the original drunken driving charge was reduced to reckless operation. 

April 2012: City manager Nicole Ard, who was fired in March, terminated Glovinsky after learning of the January arrest. 

September 2012: Glovinsky hired as part-time Huron police officer.

Fall 2013: Glovinsky appealed the termination and the appeal went before Erie County Common Pleas Court Judge Tygh Tone. Tone chastised city officials after he determined Glovinsky was improperly terminated. 

“While the city manager sent a letter to Mr. Glovinsky stating that such termination was due to a suspension of his driver’s license for one year due to a traffic violation, such reason was not related to his performance since the traffic violation occurred prior to his probationary period and was not concealed from his employer,” Tone stated in his ruling, recommending Glovinsky be rehired.

April 2014: City officials and Glovinsky come to terms on a package, according to a three-page settlement agreement the Register obtained through a public records request.

The deal either allows or directs Glovinsky to:

• Receive $25,000 paid out by the city’s insurance company.

• Dismiss his grievance with the city, including withdrawing any efforts to file a lawsuit against Sandusky.

• Submit his resignation to Sandusky police.

City officials also must:

• Provide only the dates Glovinsky worked for Sandusky, and almost remain relatively mum on his firing, in response to whenever someone wants employment information about him.

• Remove Glovinsky’s "notice of termination document" from his personnel file and place this paperwork in a separate folder.

The document also alludes to Glovinsky finding work as a Cedar Point police officer. As of early May, Glovinsky was still a part-time Huron police officer.

Glovinsky’s father, former Huron police Chief Randy Glovinsky, advocated for his son and was involved in the appeal process that occurred after Ross Glovinsky was fired.

On Tuesday, he did not want to talk about the case's details, but did say the settlement was a “small amount.”

Recommended for You